What is the best virtual desktop infrastructure software in 2020?
The best virtual desktop infrastructure software in 2020 is Amazon WorkSpaces. It can provision either Windows or Linux workspaces and can scale from one to a thousand users quickly. There is no need to stress over configuration and maintenance as well since it is a fully managed system.
Implementing a virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) requires careful planning for its implementation to be successful. And it all begins with choosing the right virtual desktop infrastructure software for your organization. At this stage, it is important to pay attention to the features, tools, and capabilities of various solutions. If you are here, then you may already have an idea of your requirements and your expectations of a VDI solution.
However, if you are having difficulties making a selection, then you have come to the right place. In this article, we will discuss the 20 best virtual desktop infrastructure software. We will look at their offerings, such as scalability, administrative tools, and cost. Hopefully, after you finish reading this piece, you will have narrowed down your list further or have made a choice.
If you are one of the progressive business operators who support the increased adoption of BYODs, the increasing demand for workplace flexibility, and the increasing adoption of cloud technology in the end-user segment, then you appreciate firsthand the value of a virtual desktop infrastructure software. The figure below offers a stark reminder of why you should choose to take the road to VDI adoption—to streamline company strategies and processes, boost productivity, save on unwanted costs, and improve reliability.
Source: Slideshare.net Designed by
As you seek to figure out the best VDI solution for your company, it pays to cast your eyes on where the technology is heading. Among things to watch in this category are the ever-improving design of the software for a better user experience and the increased investment by vendors to make superior graphics accessible to all users.
Additionally, developers are pushing hard to expand VDI to the next level, the so-called hyper-converged infrastructure—HCI. It makes allocating resources in VDI easier because administrators can see both the back-end system as a whole in operation. Additionally, they can monitor the individual details, such as the virtual machine configuration within the hypervisor. Plus, they can do both simultaneously.
With that brief overview of the VDI software category, we now proceed to the 20 best virtual desktop infrastructure software, out of which you could base your purchase decision.
1. Amazon WorkSpaces
Amazon WorkSpaces, a managed, secure cloud desktop service, heads the giant names in our top 20 best virtual desktop infrastructure software. You can use Amazon WorkSpaces to provision either Windows or Linux desktops in just a few minutes and quickly scale to provide thousands of desktops to workers across the globe. You can pay either monthly or hourly just for the WorkSpaces you launch. This helps you save money when compared to traditional desktops and on-premise VDI solutions.
Among its most prominent features is the elimination of many administrative tasks associated with managing your desktop lifecycle, including provisioning, deployment, maintenance, and recycling of desktops. There is less hardware inventory to manage and no need for complex virtual desktop infrastructure deployments that don’t scale.
Detailed Amazon WorkSpaces Review
Why Amazon WorkSpaces is a good pick for your business:
- Fully-managed service. Setting up and maintaining a virtual desktop infrastructure can be challenging and costly in terms of resources and slows down your cloud desktop provisioning. However, you can overcome these roadblocks with Amazon WorkSpaces. This fully-managed service allows you to focus on scaling to thousands of workers, no matter where they are in the world. Thus, you can abstract countless administrative tasks and focus on simplified cloud desktop lifecycle management instead.
- Decreased overhead costs. Amazon WorkSpaces is a cost-efficient solution for cloud desktops as it has multiple pricing tiers that meet your most pressing requirements. It has five bundles depending on your focus: performance, power, graphics, value, and standard services. Aside from that, you can opt for hourly or monthly billing so you can better control your usage and expenses. Moreover, this gives you full control over your desktop resources to further cut operational costs.
- Active Directory integration. Rather than forcing you to spend time on creating a new directory, Amazon WorkSpaces lets you connect to your existing Active Directory. This way, you can easily manage and modify user access rights from a single interface and roll it throughout the organization with ease.
2. IBM Cloud
IBM Cloud is an accelerated virtual desktop infrastructure software that is integrated with industry-standard graphics and storage capabilities to eliminate productivity barriers. The platform empowers mobile workforces to gain workstation-like experience on any device. This gives them fast and convenient access to graphics-intensive applications and files anytime, and anywhere there is an internet connection.
Our initial IBM Cloud reviews show that the platform’s robust VDI functionalities are backed by security safeguards to protect in-transit and at-rest content from loss and theft. The system configures and scales computing and storage options housed in different data centers worldwide. This is complemented by GPU technology that speeds up access to graphics-intensive materials.
Detailed IBM Cloud Review
Why IBM Cloud is a good pick for your business:
- Cost-efficient. IBM Cloud allows organizations to switch from a capital expense (CAPEX) to operating expense (OPEX) model for their infrastructure, while also reducing total cost of ownership as users become less reliant on desktop workstations and standalone software licenses. The software is also easy to set up, with on-demand access to top compute services and desktop virtualization solutions.
- Speed and collaboration. Teams can increase productivity with improved collaboration as IBM Cloud speeds up access to graphics files. The system can be quickly configured with high-performance NVIDIA GRID GPUs, which allow multiple users to access and share the graphics processing power of a single GPU.
- IBM’s vaunted security. IBM Cloud sends only encrypted visual output and mouse or keyboard input over the network. This means users no longer need local copies of files. Thus, the risk of getting content compromised can be avoided. Ground-up security solutions include physical safeguards, network security, and system, application, and data security.
3. Cisco VXI
Cisco VXI is an end-to-end systems solution that provides organizations the next generation virtual workspace by integrating virtual desktops, voice, and video functions. The technology empowers IT departments through a flexible, secure, and all-in-one infrastructure for delivering excellent user experience.
Among its benefits is its support for the Cisco Virtualization Experience Client. This conveniently integrates into a user’s virtualized infrastructure. When linked with the Cisco Virtualization Experience Media Engine (VXME), the platform merges all voice, video, and virtual desktop capabilities in a single device.
Detailed Cisco VXI Review
Why Cisco Virtualization Experience Infrastructure is a good pick for your business:
- Fast and flexible. With Cisco Virtualization Experience Infrastructure, IT departments can adapt, protect, and strengthen organizations more rapidly and easily. This is through fast and flexible virtual workspace delivery models, enhanced security and compliance, and maximized IT efficiency and personnel productivity.
- Eliminate risks and streamline deployments. The technology also eliminates risk and streamlines deployments via a validated and fully tested system that unifies data center, network, and collaboration architectures. Furthermore, it integrates with services, support, and partner technologies.
- Better integration, collaboration. Along with the other modules in Cisco’s extensive product suite, Cisco VXI helps networks, applications, and the people who use them work better together. That is because the present-day work environments demand better integration of people, information, and ideas. As a result, they can collaborate to create solutions aligned with business needs and opportunities.
4. VMware Horizon Cloud
VMware Horizon Cloud is a cloud-hosted virtual desktop and application solution that delivers to any platform from one control panel. It gives remote and mobile employees all-around access to enterprise resources such as databases, files, and documents. It helps minimize security risks due to its highly secure deployment, thus, also decreasing the management tasks of your IT department.
For pricing, VMWare offers enterprise models schemes with varying levels of service. These include Horizon Cloud Apps plan, Horizon Cloud Desktop, and Apps plan, Horizon Cloud with Hosted Infrastructure, and its Horizon Cloud on Microsoft Azure plan.
Detailed VMware Horizon Cloud Review
Why VMware Horizon Cloud is a good pick for your business:
- Unified management. Regardless of the number of virtual workspaces you have, you can still control them from a single VMware Horizon Cloud pane. This simplifies management tasks, especially the delivery of apps. More than that, instead of facing overwhelming compliance obligations, you can streamline your fulfillment of industry standards when you have them under control on one dashboard.
- Secure remote workspace. Remote and mobile workers are increasing in number within companies, therefore opening organizations to new threats every time they access enterprise resources from unsecured environments. VMware Horizon Cloud can help solve this issue by providing you with virtual desktops and apps that you can confidently distribute to your out-of-office employees. With this solution, you can stringently manage the files, documents, and resources they have access to on their workspaces.
- Maximum flexibility. VMware Horizon Cloud provides maximum flexibility when it comes to the deployment of virtual desktops. Your organization can choose between the solution’s desktop and apps alone, have it in a hosted infrastructure, or access it through Microsoft Azure. Whichever you prefer, you can enjoy the versatility it offers, as you can mix and match the deployment options depending on your requirements.
5. Red Hat Virtualization
Red Hat Virtualization is a comprehensive, open-source, and scalable infrastructure solution for virtual servers and technical workstations. It is powered by the Red Hat Enterprise Linux platform that delivers noticeable ease of use, agile functions, and strong security. Red Hat Virtualization is designed to respond to your needs, regardless of the complexity and intensity of your Linux and Windows workloads.
The platform also enables you to optimize your existing infrastructure to raise its performance levels. With this, you can increase your efficiency and improve application development speeds. Thus, allowing you to gain a foothold in the market by releasing products and services ahead of your competition.
Detailed Red Hat Virtualization Review
Why Red Hat Virtualization is a good pick for your business:
- Simple setup. Red Hat Virtualization is developed to offer supreme ease of use to subscribers. With its host of intuitive tools, you can utilize the solution speedily and even migrate information from a previous virtualization software quickly.
- Hyper performance. Red Hat Virtualization is built on Red Hat Enterprise Linux and the Kernel-based Virtual Machine. Because of this, it can run faster than other hypervisors on the market, enabling you to do more in a shorter span of time.
- Centralized management. Red Hat Virtualization has one central management component where you can perform a wide variety of tasks. On it, you can provision new virtual machines and recreate existing ones. With this single dashboard, you can search and even access detailed information that allows you to assess the performance of every aspect together so you can decide what steps you need to take to enhance your system.
6. Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops
Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops is a remote access solution that delivers virtual apps and desktops from any cloud. It affords your employees the mobility they need to work anywhere and even as they continually move between internal and external networks. Despite that, the solution can still help you minimize your IT expenses.
Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops also can adapt to any screen size. As more people switch to portable devices such as tablets, Citrix has seen to it that their applications remain user-friendly regardless of the platform. Thus, employees can enjoy supreme navigability on their preferred devices.
Detailed Citrix Virtual Apps & Desktops Review
Why Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops is a good pick for your business:
- Top-notch simplicity. Despite its powerful capabilities, Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops remains a simple solution for end-users. It delivers a simple and consistent user experience regardless of the devices and screen size, even if it is a ChromeOS-based machine. More than that, it has an automated client configuration that provides users with the best connection path without having them tinker with settings.
- Excellent Graphics Performance. Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops has tight support for graphics acceleration for Intel, AMD, and NVIDIA GPUs. With this, employees who require heavy graphics lifting can perform their tasks seamlessly without sacrificing performance and quality.
- Virtualized Communications. Aside from Skype for Business, Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops can virtualize Cisco Jabber and Avaya One-X. These unified communication solutions provide you with the avenue to connect collaborators in one platform for centralized cooperation.
7. SolarWinds Virtualization Manager
SolarWinds Virtualization Manager is a performance-enhancing virtual machine monitoring and optimization software. It lets you resolve issues with vSphere and Hyper-V units in a few minutes to ensure that your system experiences less downtime. Aside from providing you with optimization recommendations, the solution also offers proactive alerts that aid you in assessing your virtual machine’s state and in improving its functions.
The app lets you predict the different needs of your virtual machines, also with what-if modeling scenarios. Through these, you can plan to accommodate resource usage. This can help you secure more uptime and save you costs in the long term.
Detailed SolarWinds Virtualization Manager Review
Why SolarWinds Virtualization Manager is a good pick for your business:
- Predictive optimization. SolarWinds Virtualization Manager ensures that your virtual machines are in top-performing condition. With its optimization recommendations, you can configure your systems with a single click. You can even choose to run them immediately or schedule them for later. Whichever you prefer, you can look forward to smooth-running virtualization in the future.
- Reduced downtime. SolarWinds Virtualization Manager regularly serves you with active virtualization alerts. These can be simply informational, or they can be action-driven that require responses. These allow you to receive constant updates regarding your system without drilling down into your management dashboards.
- Increased resource control. Idle, powered-off, and orphaned VMs and files take up huge amounts of resources that degrade performance and negatively affect your operation. SolarWinds Virtualization Manager aids you in finding them to turn them off or delete them completely. Once these actions are done, you can expect to reclaim precious resources and return them to the virtual pool.
8. Parallels RAS
Parallels RAS is a complete virtual application and desktop delivery software that provides businesses, consumers, and service providers access to data and applications from any device. It is a seamless and easy-to-deploy solution that delivers continuous availability, resource-centric load-balancing, and comprehensive network transparency.
Parallels RAS details reveal that the platform works with VMware ESXi, Citrix XenServer, Microsoft RDS, Acropolis (AHV), Microsoft Hyper-V, KVM, and all other major hypervisors with minimal effort.
Detailed Parallels RAS Review
Why Parallels Remote Application Server is a good pick for your business:
- Flexible architecture. Parallels Remote Application Server features a flexible and scalable architecture that helps organizations adapt to the unabating workstation demands for unique desktop types and applications. Its powerful yet easy-to-implement VDI offers access to applications, virtual machines, and virtual desktops from all major hypervisors on any device. It makes it easy to flexibly manage VM templates allowing for the near-instant provision of published applications or virtual desktops to end-users.
- Seamless end-user experience. Parallels Remote Application Server provides a seamless end-user experience regardless of the operating system or device you use. The solution is available on virtually any device, including Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, and Chromebook. It is also applicable to thin clients and HTML web browsers. Its cloud deployment offers impressive on-the-go access, enabling employees to remain productive when working away from the office. Its HTML5 client delivers a rich workspace experience with a shared clipboard, file drag-and-drop capabilities, and support for local peripherals. The HTML5 Client allows employees to continue working on active desktops and applications even if they change location or network.
- Excellent security. Furthermore, Parallels RAS secures corporate assets from malicious activity and data leakage. The advanced access control feature bars unapproved remote access to sensitive network information. Moreover, its client’s policies permit organizations to enforce strategies based on an Active Directory, or a specific user to secure corporate data.
9. Nutanix VDI
Nutanix VDI is a converged virtual desktop infrastructure solution that leverages software-defined appliance to run industry-leading VDI solutions. It’s a reliable application that facilitates simplified management, linear scaling, and predictable performance for virtual desktop infrastructure deployments.
Our Nutanix VDI reviews show that the platform is designed to run Citrix XenApp and Citrix XenDesktop on any hypervisor such as HyperV, Nutanix AHV, ESXi, and Citrix XenServer while supporting VMware Horizon with a view. It supports every type of application, deployment model, and VDI user from knowledge worker and non-persistent task desktops to graphics-intensive and persistent power user desktop without depending on overprovisioning storage capability for performance.
Detailed Nutanix VDI Review
Why Nutanix DVI is a good pick for your business:
- Robust infrastructure. Nutanix VDI is an industry-leading converged infrastructure that integrates storage resources and computes servers into a consolidated appliance. It then leverages the power of modern technologies. The platform features a simple scale-out architecture designed to facilitate predictable scalability and cost savings for the most intense virtual workloads.
- Easy to deploy and manage. Nutanix VDI is designed to abolish the intricacy of isolated infrastructure silos for virtual desktops to enable faster implementation and time to value. The solution can be up and running in a few hours and doesn’t require the complex network integration or storage configurations to function optimally.
- High performance and seamless end-user experience. Nutanix VDI overcomes the hurdles of traditional storage infrastructure with enterprise-class features such as shadow clones, deduplication, tunable redundancy, and compression. The features offer a consistent end-user experience and satisfy the needs of even the most arduous VDI end-user.
Vagrant is a simple and powerful virtual desktop infrastructure software designed to help developers, DevOps engineers, and UI and UX designers to build and maintain portable virtual development environments.
This open-source and cross-platform solution enables users to create and configure the lightweight environment for Docker containers, VirtualBox, VMware, Amazon Web Services (AWS), and HyperV to streamline configuration management and increase development productivity, much like how the best IT development software would.
Vagrant features automation and easy-to-use workflow to reduce the development environment setup time and give users peace of mind, thanks to its simple command-line client. The application leverages industry-standard technology and is controlled by a precise workflow that magnifies user flexibility.
Why Vagrant is a good pick for your business:
- Unified workflow. Vagrant automates virtual environment configuration with industry-standard provisioning tools such as Puppet or Chef. Whether you are a developer, designer, or operator, you will marvel at the simple, unified workflow that remains consistent regardless of your role.
- Cross-platform. Vagrant is a cross-platform software that works on your favorite device. The solution works on Linux, Windows, Mac, and other platforms, allowing you to use your preferred programs and editors without a struggle. By working on your local system, Vagrant enables you to use tools you are already familiar with, modify images using your favorite program, code with ease in a text editor you are accustomed to, and debug using your preferred tools.
- Enhanced consistency. Vagrant offers the same packages, users, operating systems, and configurations to mirror the production environment. It enforces consistency by giving users the flexibility to utilize their favorite browser, IDE, and editor.
Paperspace is an easy-to-use, next-generation VDI software that enables organizations of all sizes to supercharge business with innovative computing infrastructure. This powerful solution simplifies management for enterprises with its robust management console, advanced security features, and shared drives. The platform comes with built-in remote access to shared drives and machines, making it easy for users to work from anywhere, without having to set up costly and complex VPNs. This also abstracts the need for remote support software to fix problems from the office, but if you think you might need it, you can learn what a remote support application’s features and benefits are.
Paperspace permits users to create a new Virtual Desktop Environment or transfer an existing one to the cloud. Our work on its pros and cons reveals that the solution comes with powerful tools that allow you to integrate it within an existing network. Its simple management console makes it easy to complete setups for Active Directory and VPN integration with just a few clicks. It eliminates the inherent intricacy of VDI, thereby simplifying even the most complex network configurations.
Detailed Paperspace Review
Why Paperspace is a good pick for your business:
- Easy to use. Paperspace is designed to deliver the power of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure while eliminating the complexity. The solution handles networking equipment, servers, firewalls, redundancy, disaster recovery, and virtualization efficiently.
- Powerful management. Paperspace provides an impressive management interface that enhances IT capabilities. The package offers robust tools that enable you to create, sort, filter and connect machines, users, and networks with ease.
- Enhanced networking. Paperspace comes with powerful tools that allow you to integrate the solution with your existing network. Its simple management console makes it easy to complete setups for Active Directory and VPN integration with just a few clicks. It eliminates the inherent intricacy of VDI, thereby simplifying even the most complex network configurations.
12. Nvidia Virtual GPU
Nvidia Virtual GPU is a powerful VDI software that gives designers, developers, and power users a graphics experience equivalent to dedicated hardware with the cost efficiency only achievable via GPU virtualization. It’s an innovative solution that permits multiple virtual machines to directly and simultaneously access a single physical GPU via the same graphics drivers installed on the non-virtualized OS.
It also features a platform that delivers unparalleled application compatibility and graphics performance as well as scalability as a result of sharing a GPU among numerous workloads.
Detailed Nvidia Virtual GPU Review
Why Nvidia Virtual GPU is a good pick for your business:
- Innovative architecture. Nvidia Virtual GPU has a high-level architecture that enables physical GPUs to support numerous virtual GPUs. The architecture allows every guest virtual machine to use Nvidia Virtual GPU in the same way as a remote GPU enhanced by a hypervisor. The NVIDIA driver installed in the guest virtual machine permits direct access to the remote GPU for critical performance paths. Better still, the para-virtualized interface to NVIDIA vGPU manager streamlines the administration of non-performant management tasks.
- Exceptional user experience. Nvidia Virtual GPU delivers the ultimate user experience with the ability to provision graphics and compute workloads for all vGPUs. The solution enables all virtual machines to leverage the power of GPU, just like a remote desktop has.
- Easy-to-monitor GPU performance. Nvidia Virtual GPU is designed to help you keep an eye on the performance of virtual and physical GPUs from within each guest VMs and from a hypervisor. It provides unique tools such as the NVIDIA System Management Interface, Citrix XenCenter, and Windows Performance Monitor that enable you to monitor GPU performance from the supported hypervisor, Citrix XenServer, and Windows guest VM respectively.
13. Evolve IP VDI
Evolve IP VDI is a virtual desktop environment solution that accommodates decreasing IT budgets while providing a fully managed infrastructure. This makes it similar to a desktop-as-a-service solution. The main difference is that you retain control over the virtual desktop environment.
Other than fitting various budgets, Evolve IP VDI’s extensive features ensure the platform meets the multiple needs of end-users. It delivers rich media content and a smooth desktop user experience, allowing your employees to perform their tasks seamlessly while they are on the move.
Detailed Evolve IP VDI Review
Why Evolve IP VDI is a good pick for your business:
- Managed infrastructure. If your company needs to reduce IT budgets but still requires a robust virtual desktop solution, then Evolve IP VDI can assist you. With this solution, you have full control over the virtual desktop environment, though the management of the infrastructure remains with Evolve IP. This lets you spread your IT workforce to multiple projects while resting assured that your VDI is continuously in top form.
- Complete VDI customization. Although infrastructure management lies with Evolve IP, you are still able to customize Evolve IP VDI as you see fit. Thus, you can fully configure how the solution delivers applications, desktops, and storage spaces to end-users and provide a seamless experience to your employees as well.
- Elective applications. Evolve IP VDI offers you the flexibility to provision the Windows version of your choice to your mobile employees. You can also choose to provide them with Microsoft Office (Standard or Enterprise) applications or Evolved Office applications. By delivering these tools to your employees, you can assist them in increasing their productivity and enhance collaborations between ambulatory and in-office workers.
14. Xen Project
A collaborative project by the Linux Foundation and partner contributors, Xen Project, is an open-source bare-metal hypervisor that offers powerful features that rival those of commercial software, which you can leverage to power your organization.
Our Xen Project reviews reveal an application that supports multiple guest operating systems to give you the flexibility you require to add more operating systems depending on your needs.
Detailed Xen Project Review
Why Xen Project is a good pick for your business:
- Scalable virtualization. With Xen Project, you are not limited to a handful of instances only. The solution employs paravirtualization to assist it in supporting up to 512 virtual CPUs with 512GB per guest. On the other hand, it can support up to 128 virtual CPUs with 1TB RAM per guest through hardware virtualization. Thus, you can confidently scale your projects.
- Supreme security. Xen Project has a modular architecture that allows it to separate the hypervisor from the control and guest operating systems. This way, the attack surface is minimal. Because of this, cyber attackers have little ground to launch their intrusions. Apart from that, it is equipped with the Xen Security Modules, which the NSA employs as well for secure use-cases.
- Maximum Flexibility. As Xen Project is an open-source software, you have full control of the direction of the code. You can contribute to its development and even continue utilizing it as long as you want, without impediments from commercial entities.
15. Neverfail Workspaces
Neverfail Workspaces is a secure full-featured virtual desktop and application provisioning software that shields sensitive systems from intrusions. It keeps your confidential company data and applications off vulnerable devices and fully safe in the cloud.
A quick overview of its features reveals that it has stringent security measures. Despite that, Neverfail Workspaces provide your employees with the familiarity of desktops and programs that can help them raise their productivity and efficiency levels. Moreover, your mobile and remote workers can access data from any device at all times, enabling them to perform their tasks unhindered when they need to.
Detailed Neverfail Workspaces Review
Why Neverfail Workspaces is a good pick for your business:
- Secure remote access. Neverfail Workspaces secures your sensitive enterprise information without impeding your employees’ productivity. It wraps your confidential company data and applications in a protective shield that blocks unauthorized access into your network. With this, your remote workers can confidently access company files and documents without opening themselves to security risks.
- Platform-agnostic delivery. Neverfail Workspaces is an adaptable solution that can fit into any screen size and work on any operating system. This allows for a BYOD approach in your company that decreases expenses when it comes to business-provisioned devices. This also gives your employees the familiarity they need when working, as they can perform their tasks on a device they know well.
- Scalable provisioning. Neverfail Workspaces is a scalable platform that can grow with you as your business expands. This means that you can start with a small number of provisioned desktops and deploy more as additional employees need access to your network. This makes the solution a cost-effective one as well, as you can continue utilizing it even as your enterprise changes.
16. Nerdio Private Cloud
Nerdio Private Cloud is a complete multi-layer virtual IT environment that is productivity-powered to enable efficiency from the get-go.
As a comprehensive private cloud solution, it features three levels that provide you with virtual desktops and applications, servers, security, management and monitoring, and a host of support features. You can enjoy these on top of enhanced performance that is cost-effective—the solution has a fixed price per user and no hidden fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for.
Detailed Nerdio Private Cloud Review
Why Nerdio Private Cloud is a good pick for your business:
- Economical servers. Physical servers are costly in terms of financial and labor resources. Nerdio Private Cloud eliminates these worries as it utilizes high-density virtual servers. These allow you to enjoy your private cloud and an additional layer of protection against data breaches and unauthorized system access.
- Complete Backups. You can back up all aspects of your system with just one click with Nerdio Private Cloud. With this, you can be confident that your system is protected in the event of hardware failures and unavoidable catastrophes.
- Vigilant Monitoring. Technologies can fail even at the most inopportune moments. That is why Nerdio partners are constantly on alert to ensure that issues are remediated immediately before they make a huge impact on operations.
Teradici is a best-in-class and secure virtual desktop infrastructure software that leverages the virtualization capabilities of VMware Horizon View and a remote display protocol called PCoIP.
Teradici integrates the PCoIP technology into VMware Horizon View. This integration enables users to deliver virtual desktops and applications to clients and endpoints without worrying about the security of their data. This is because the PCoIP protocol is designed to transmit image information only in the form of pixels, assuring them that any critical information they have won’t ever leave their data center or cloud infrastructure.
Why Teradici is a good pick for your business:
- Industry-leading virtual desktop technology. Teradici is a powerful virtual desktop infrastructure software because it uses industry-leading virtualization technologies. One of them is VMware Horizon View, a commercial desktop virtualization product and virtual desktop host platform built for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X operating systems.
- PCoIP: A breakthrough remote display protocol. Teradici enhances the desktop virtualization capabilities of VMware Horizon View by incorporating a breakthrough protocol into it. This protocol is called PCoIP or PC-over-IP, a remote display protocol developed by Teradici’s vendor. It delivers an extra layer of security to virtual environments. At the same time, it enables end-users to interact better with their desktops and applications.
- High-definition and high-performance computing. The protocol is designed with high-definition and high-performance computing power. This is the reason why it can process high-definition multimedia and graphics-intensive applications on virtual desktops, thereby providing users with a great and interactive experience as they work from anywhere.
18. IGEL UDC
IGEL UDC is a radical and revolutionary thin client conversion software that transforms 32-bit and 64-bit endpoint devices such as PCs, laptops, tablets, and third-party thin clients into IGEL Linux-based thin clients that can be deployed universally.
This desktop virtualization and endpoint management software empowers chief experience officers and IT and security professionals to give their existing and outdated hardware a new purpose. This is instead of wasting their company’s money on costly hardware replacements or software updates, building a standardized virtual desktop infrastructure and computing environment, and implementing enterprise-level security.
Why IGEL UDC is a good pick for your business:
- Hardware-agnostic to minimize IT costs. The thin client conversion software is hardware-agnostic, which means it can convert any existing x-86 device into an IGEL OS-powered thin client or endpoint device. Therefore, users no longer need to invest in new hardware to replace their old or outdated hardware, as IGEL UDC provides them with the opportunity to reshape and repurpose their existing hardware.
- A standardized desktop environment. With IGEL UDC, the once mismatched fleet of PCs and operating systems are now set up and running on a universal end-user computing environment. Thus, the software can standardize an environment or infrastructure, integrating a diverse collection of desktops, endpoint devices, and operating systems.
- Endpoint management made easy. The thin client conversion software centralizes the way users manage their endpoint devices, offering remote administration, zero-touch deployment, and security capabilities. After the hardware or endpoint devices are converted using IGEL UDC, they are automatically integrated into the suite.
Virtuozzo is a portable, flexible, and elastic hyper-converged infrastructure software solution that merges system containers, hypervisor, and software-defined storage into one efficient and consistent platform.
Among its features are encrypted containers, whose performance and density are greater than those of traditional virtual machines. Built based on a Linux kernel, these containers accelerate the delivery of applications and workloads to production. The hyper-converged infrastructure solution uses a hypervisor that leverages and optimizes the open-source hypervisor known as KVM or Kernel-based virtual machine. With this hypervisor, users will be able to deploy virtual machines at a lower cost. High-performance hardware virtualization can also be executed on a smaller infrastructure footprint.
Detailed Virtuozzo Review
Why Virtuozzo is a good pick for your business:
- Performance and density that exceeds traditional virtual machines. Virtuozzo containers exceed the capabilities of traditional virtual machines in terms of performance and density. That is why these containers are described as efficient and lightweight. The containers can run more servers and process client requests faster compared to traditional virtual machines.
- Optimized KVM-based hypervisor. One of the powerful virtualization technologies offered by Virtuozzo is its hypervisor. Generally, a hypervisor is a software solution that separates applications and operating systems from physical machines and runs them on virtual machines. The Virtuozzo hypervisor was built through the recreation and enhancement of the popular open-source hypervisor called KVM. This is a powerful and industry-leading hypervisor that has been empowering organizations to build virtual environments and quickly deliver desktops and applications to end-users, which they can access remotely.
- Works with off-the-shelf hardware to drive costs down. Virtuozzo’s software-defined storage solution is compatible with off-the-shelf hardware or those ready-made hardware products that organizations are purchasing and configuring to meet their unique needs. They prefer to purchase these hardware products over those that are custom-made, which are more expensive.
20. Liquidware FlexApp
Liquidware FlexApp is a unique, innovative, and flexible desktop virtualization solution that uses an application layering technology. This is to enable organizations to speed up the process of delivering applications to Windows desktop environments and workspaces, regardless of the version of the Windows operating system or base image.
Among its benefits, the application layering delivery solution aims to help users enhance user experiences while reducing the cost of application packaging, layering, administration, and delivery.
Detailed Liquidware FlexApp Review
Why Liquidware FlexApp is a good pick for your business:
- Eliminates image sprawl and reduces costs. A simplified Windows OS base image management helps you get rid of image sprawl, a situation in which organizations are having a hard time scrapping out outdated images and looking for the right images from large image catalogs.
- Delivers application layers to physical, virtual, and cloud workspaces. Liquidware FlexApp allows the instant delivery of application layers to Windows desktop environments and workspaces, regardless of the version of Windows OS or base image they are running. As soon as the application is packed, the associated application layers can be immediately delivered to any platform and any physical, virtual, or cloud-hosted environment.
- Intuitive packaging console streamlines application management tasks. The application layering delivery solution offers an intuitive application packaging console that permits users to perform application management tasks faster. From the console, they will be able to build virtual hard drives and virtual machine disk containers automatically.
Things to Keep in Mind When Implementing a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
There are many benefits you can gain from deploying a VDI. For one, your IT department staff members are going to be delighted with the superior resources available. However, it is crucial that you keep some things in mind to avoid common VDI implementation mistakes.
1. Take stock of your resources
VDI provides you with additional resources, but this may backfire on you if it turns out you have enough existing resources to power your organization’s needs. Instead, maximize the ones you have available before you run out and replace them. This way, you can use your investments to the fullest.
2. Make sure staff are fully prepared
Before you complete the VDI rollout, it is important to inform users of what they can expect. This is to ensure that they are educated enough to tell you whenever there are critical problems that you need to address, such as application latency. To that end, implementing VDI in stages can be helpful to get your staff acquainted with it fully.
3. Be redundant
Power outages, system failures, and similar problems will occur and reoccur regardless of how prepared you are for them. This is why it would be prudent to exercise redundancy. In normal settings, you would want to avoid this, but in this, case it would be beneficial to you. On top of that, you need to have a back-up plan on what your courses of action are in case your VDI goes down.
There are more things you have to do or be aware of regarding VDI to make certain that it works as you intended. But the few points above give you an idea of what you need to do before rolling out.
Also, VDI is not the only virtual commodity available today that can improve the way you work. You may also want to look at the 12 best virtual data room software to aid you in keeping important data safe.