Find out more about Architecture Software
What is Architecture Software?
Architecture software is utilized by architects, civil engineers, students, interior designers and others to make 2D and 3D home, remodeling, and structural designs. They use the software to design and visualize the structures they wish to build. This platform can be leveraged to produce architectural drawings and documentation and to make design iterations which is a time-consuming process. In this era of automation, professionals are utilizing architecture software to minimize the time and effort needed to create detailed structural plans. The tool offers automated features and a wide range of 2D and 3D plans to make designing simpler. Beginners can opt for basic software while professionals can invest in advanced applications. Start by checking our leader , and other recommended solutions in this category.
Top 12 Most Popular Architecture Software
How To Choose The Best Architecture Software
Architecture software is used by architects, civil engineers and others to create drawings and blueprints for structures. There is a plethora of quality solutions in this niche. This makes it hard to do informed comparisons to select the best architecture software for your requirements. We help you in this task by providing info on the main factors and features you should look for in these tools.
Get to know each product with free trial
We recommend you start your search for the best architecture software by registering for the free trial or demo of leading platforms. Top architecture software providers offer this convenience to help you check out their app’s features and do a detailed comparison with other programs. We recommend you try out SketchUp, CorelCAD, SmartDraw, Bentley MicroStation, and ConceptDraw PRO. These applications have won impressive reviews and rankings in our architecture software reviews.
Architecture software tools are commonly used by qualified architects, interior designers, and civil engineers as well as students for class projects.
Examples of Architecture Software
- SketchUp: An intuitive CAD platform that you can use to create and edit 2D and 3D concepts. The solution helps you to create stunning 3D models of landscapes, furniture, interiors and more. It is easy to use and offers a range of professional-quality functionalities. Key features include animations, layer manager, textures, and lighting effects.
- CorelCAD: A CAD platform that is perfect for technical design work. You can use it for 2D drafting as well as 3D design, drawing, and printing. The tool enables you to collaborate effectively, improve productivity, and communicate your visual plans efficiently. The best part is you can transform basic 2D sketches into sophisticated 3D models.
- SmartDraw: A diagramming solution and flowchart maker you can use to plan strategies, manage projects, and document processes. It is robust yet easy to use and is a good alternative to the established Microsoft Visio. With SmartDraw, you can create schematic, graph-based, and chart-based diagrams. Plus, you can easily integrate it with other apps such as MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Bentley MicroStation: A visual modeling tool designed for architects, engineers, owner-operators, and constructors. It provides features for visualization, drafting, modeling, and object management. This robust modeling software accelerates project delivery and enhances the quality of infrastructure assets. You can use it for all kinds of utilities and infrastructures including mining, process plants, communications networks, water networks, buildings, rails, roads, and bridges.
- ConceptDraw PRO: A full-featured suite of graphic documentation modules for all kinds of companies. It offers thousands of templates and stencils for instant diagramming. You can easily share your drawings and presentations with your team by using the wide range of export options. With this tool, you can create and share interactive and lively presentations, blueprints, computer network diagrams, electrical diagrams, maps, organizational charts and more.
Types of Architecture Software
Following are common types of architecture software:
- 2D architecture software
- 2D and 3D architecture software
- BIM (Building Information Modeling) software
- Presentation and rendering software
- CAAD (Computer-Aided Architectural Design) software
Key Features of Architecture Software
- Flexibility. If multiple users utilize the software, look for a solution that supports the requirements of both novices and experts. The software should have a simple user interface, allow users to draw from scratch, and include elements such as windows, roof and other objects to make designing simpler.
- Workflow support. It is important for architects to analyze all proposed concepts, set deadlines, and meet objectives during project implementation. Therefore, look for a platform that supports workflows and allows you to check progress.
- Support for building info. The tool should support building information by providing details such as cost approximation, list of required materials, complete documentation, and 3D designing. This feature helps professionals working on residential and industrial projects.
- User friendly. For sustainable designs, the software should incorporate changes made in one parameter in the implementation of the entire project. This leads to efficient and consistent designing. The tool should be easy to use and users should be able to easily operate it without a manual.
- Technical support. Architecture software offers many tools and functionalities. The requirements of a lay user are different from those of an expert. Therefore, the software should support all levels of users. If you get stuck, the vendor should be able to provide prompt technical support to bail you out.
Benefits of Architecture Software
- Improves collaboration. Collaboration and sharing are important for architecture and construction projects. A project often involves different designs as well as multiple versions of a single design, which can cause confusion. The solution is to use cloud software which makes all stages of a project lifecycle available. You can view your projects offsite or onsite on any internet-ready device which improves coordination and communication between teams.
- Better visualization. Clients may find it difficult to understand 2D and paper designs in a real-world scenario. Architecture software allows you to include detailed 3D models and floor plans as well as virtual reality and augmented reality features so that you and your clients are able to visualize the whole design before starting construction.
- Cost-effective. It is expensive to correct a design error such as a pipe going through a wall after starting construction. Architecture software helps you avoid this as it automates clash detection. You can detect clashes early before you start construction which means you can avoid costly on-site clashes.
- Enhanced productivity. In the engineering and construction industry, if you make a mistake in a stage it can set back the whole project. Architecture software helps you avoid this as each alteration you make to one model is automatically made in other models. The change is automatically added to the 3D model and construction plans. This speeds up the production process, minimizes labor costs, and boosts client approval times.
- Improves communication. Architects and designers often find it difficult to communicate their technical designs to lay clients who may not be able to interpret them. With architecture software, you can show your designs in an interactive format and present info in an understandable manner. This helps to boost communication and collaboration with your client.
Mobile cloud apps. Cloud collaboration will continue as people in different locations can simultaneously view real-time data from the design and construction process. All they need is an internet-enabled device. Thus, partners can perform cloud collaboration from the design stage to delivery. Architecture models can be quickly shared with the building site and building site reporting can be done instantly to facilitate productive collaboration.
Green is the mantra. Architecture and BIM software enable you to take into account energy and materials properties during the design stage which helps to make buildings more energy efficient. During the construction stage, modular constructions, prefab, and BIM can be used to reduce CO2 emission as well as energy costs.
Misunderstanding the software’s capabilities. Some users may expect too much from architecture software or may not know how to use it effectively. If you face these issues, contact the vendor’s customer support team for help on how to utilize the tool properly and efficiently.
Misunderstanding of final models. During construction, problems may arise if the architect’s drawings and model are erroneous. Another reason for issues is the subcontractor may not be able to correctly interpret the model due to miscommunication or misunderstanding of the info provided. The solution is to use architecture software correctly to create error-free designs and blueprints and then communicate the models properly to the building contractors to ensure perfect construction.
List of Architecture Software Companies
Originally published on , updated
Our Score Read More
Our review platform makes use of our proprietary SmartScore™ algorithm to test all the solutions in the Architecture Software category so that we can help you choose the best possible software. It includes the following elements: cruscial functionalities, collaboration elements, customization, integration, ease of use, help & support, how secure a software is, support for smartphones and tablets, scores in other media. Currently, CorelCAD is the leader in this category and our experts are really satisfied with it. Following extensive examination it received the best results among its competitors and our reviewers strongly suggest that you include it as one of the alternatives for your needs.
User Satisfaction Read More
An overview of general user satisfaction with the services in our Architecture Software category calculated using our unique algorythm that finds client reviews, comments and opinions across a broad set of social media sites in order to help you make an informed investment decision.
Pricing Read More
Each vendor in the Architecture Software category will have a different set of pricing plans for its app and each package will include a different set of tools. Below we list the overal pricing for the cheapest plan available for each product. Keep in mind that advanced features may have an extra cost.
Devices Supported Read More
An analysis of what kind of devices and operating systems are supported by all B2B services in the Architecture Software category, including mobile platforms and web-based solutions.
Laguages Supported Read More
Check which languages and geographies are supported by the top B2B services in the Architecture Software category, including services designed for international markets and prepared for multi-cultural teams of employees.
Pricing Model Read More
Find out which pricing models are supported by the vendors in the Architecture Software category to check which one suits your business requirements and expenses best. Keep in mind that specific services can provide free or freemium accounts for you to try out first.
Customer Types Read More
A brief look at which kinds of clients a specific B2B software in the Architecture Software category aims for, from small businesses and non-profits to large enterprises.
Deployment Read More
A summary of what types of product deployement are offered by each B2B vendor in the Architecture Software category. While almost all modern SaaS solutions are cloud-based there are solutions may offer an on-site deployment model as well.
Post by Alex Hillsberg