Find out more about Application Development Software
What is Application Development Software?
Application development software is a solution that enables you to create your own software applications without coding skills. These solutions help you to easily create websites, database systems, mobile apps and more. Today, many businesses save money by developing their own custom software applications instead of hiring professionals for the work. By developing your own custom apps, you can offer news, info, loyalty programs, e-commerce and other facilities directly to your consumers on their mobile devices. Make sure the application development software you select offers project management, collaboration, bug and issue tracking capabilities and more. Choose the software based on your level of programming expertise. Start by checking our leader BitBucket, and other recommended solutions in this category.
Top 10 Most Popular Application Development Software
Our Score 8.8
User Satisfaction 100%
A powerful prototyping and wireframing tool used by product teams, software developers, and other professionals to create interactive prototypes mockups, wireframes, and diagrams for the applications or solutions that they are building, testing, and refining. Read Reviews
How To Choose The Best Application Development Software
Application development software enables you to create your own custom apps without programming skills. However, how do you pick the best application development software for your needs from the scores of quality programs out there? We make your task easier by listing the features and factors you should look for in these types of tools.
Get to know each product with free trial
A great way to begin your quest for the best application development software is to try out the free trial or demo of popular platforms. Leading application development software providers present this facility to help you learn about their product’s key features and do a comparison with other solutions. We recommend you try out BitBucket, Cloud Elements, Appy Pie, Bizness Apps, and Anypoint Platform as these products have received impressive rankings and ratings in our application development software reviews.
Mostly, application development software buyers are of two types:
- Line of business purchasers. These users should invest in software that provides visual interfaces. They should also check out the templated apps available for industry verticals such as banking, healthcare, entertainment etc.
- DevOps purchasers. These users should buy application development software that offers customizable code since they usually need to edit and expand the pre-generated code. Plus, they should select a platform that supports backend integrations services.
Examples of Application Development Software
- BitBucket: A web-based hosting platform for projects that use Git or Mercurial revision control types. It empowers users to code, collaborate on, and manage Git projects. The tool provides loads of benefits for code workers and professional developers. Its distributed control system facilitates massive scaling and effortless collaboration.
- Cloud Elements: An API integration and management platform that presents over 115 prebuilt integrations as uniform RESTful APIs. The tool’s integrations are classified into ‘API Hubs’ or categories of services. Each category can be accessed via a uniform REST API, which helps to minimize the time you need to create integrations. In addition, you can utilize the API Hubs to aggregate data internally and to provide an integration marketplace to your consumers.
- Appy Pie: A web-based mobile app builder that empowers you to create apps using basic drag-and-drop functionality. You don’t need coding skills or experience in app building to use this product as it provides guidelines, resources, and tools that are easy to follow and use. Besides, you can create apps that work on Android, iOS, BlackBerry, and Windows devices. You can then publish your apps on leading app stores and make money.
- Bizness Apps: This platform empowers entrepreneurs, marketers, mobile app developers, and web designers to promote their mobile business ventures without spending time trying to learn coding. Its white label services are popular among users. The software is easy to use: select a template, enter all the details, and then, Bizness Apps automatically completes the process to create your custom app. Plus, it offers loads of customization options to enable you to create even complex apps.
- Anypoint Platform: An open source program that addresses connectivity issues across APIs, SaaS, and SOA. It provides a range of out-of-the-box connectors that you can use to integrate apps and data, on premise or in the cloud. This allows you to organize, link, and allow any external or internal endpoint. The best part is Anypoint Platform offers features for important processes such as security, logging, high availability, business group management, identity management, and analytics.
Types of Application Development Software
Application development software can be classified into three main categories:
- Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) suites software
- Mobile development software
- Rapid Application Development (RAD) software
Key Features of Application Development Software
- Mobile app analytics. Collects data on how users utilize the app after deployment to help you identify and correct bugs and improve the product.
- Data synchronization. Enables you to synchronize data created by apps in offline mode with online services.
- API. RESTful APIs help you to integrate the features of the program with back-end databases and services.
- Hardware compatibility testing. Enables you to preview the app’s display on multiple operating systems and device types, via software simulation or by pushing the app preview to hardware devices.
- Templated prebuilt apps. The software offers templates for standard app use cases such as employee facing, field service, banking etc.
- Code-free development. Even lay users without coding skills can develop apps by using visual drag-and-drop interfaces, wizards and other user-friendly features.
- Integrated Development Environment (IDE). This is a graphical user interface for debugging, compiling, and source code editing.
Benefits of Application Development Software
- Assistance for UI/workflow design. Application development software offers features that enable you to concentrate on the user interface and the user experiences and workflows supported by the platform.
- Hardware compatibility. Most application development solutions integrate with native SDKs (software development kits) for Android, iOS, etc. This gives you access to the hardware features of popular smartphone platforms without needing to browse the native SDK. In addition, you can utilize usability testing to identify and resolve design issues before launching the app.
- Visual development environment. Application development platforms offer visual development environments and user-friendly templates that enable even lay users to create apps easily.
- Backend data integration. The software presents user-friendly APIs that enable you to easily integrate the solution with backend databases and services.
- Quicker development time. This is one of the main benefits of application development software. The platform eliminates or automates the time-consuming code-writing process and allows you to launch your apps faster.
Emergence of Integration Platform as a Service. This service refers to the growing market for cloud solutions for data integration such as backend data integrations for applications. Many vendors provide backend data integration assistance, but for complex deployments you require a separate integration as a service.
Rapid Application Development (RAD). This technology includes drag-and-drop interfaces, predesigned app templates, visual wizards and other tools that enable lay users to design and deploy applications without IT assistance. This type of software is ideal for digital businesses where customer support, marketing and other units need to deploy apps quickly to respond to new opportunities as they arise.
Software fragmentation. There are many versions of Android and other operating systems which makes it difficult to run apps in the same way on different devices even if the operating system is the same. Plus, the various types of software in a mobile device read apps differently which creates issues for customers in using the apps. The solution is to test a range of combinations including the older and latest versions of Android or other operating systems.
Different screen sizes. It is not feasible to design apps for the latest platform as mobile devices have limitations based on OS requirements, pixel intensities, embedded technologies, screen sizes etc. In addition, iOS, Windows, and Android operating systems have their own UI objects. The solution is to build a responsive design that makes the app more liquid and compatible with various screen sizes and formats. To avoid display issues, you can beta test the app before launch.
List of Application Development Software Companies
Page last modified
Our Score Read More
FinancesOnline utilizes our certified SmartScore™ mode to gather information about all the services in the Application Development Software category in orded to help you pick the best possible service. It includes the following factors: key modules, collaboration possibilities, custom elements, integrations with other services, intuitiveness, customer support, how secure a software is, mobility, scores in other media. Currently, BitBucket is the leader in this category and is recommended by our experts. Following extensive evaluation it had the best results among its competitors and our reviewers strongly suggest that you consider it as one of the alternatives for your needs.
User Satisfaction Read More
An overview of overall user satisfaction with the solutions in our Application Development Software category calculated using our unique algorythm that analyzes user reviews, comments and opinions across a broad range of social media sites to help you make an educated buying decision.
Pricing Read More
Every vendor in the Application Development Software category will offer a different group of pricing plans for its app and every plan will include a varied set of tools. Below we list the overal pricing for the cheapest package provided for each product. Keep in mind that advanced features may have an extra cost.
Devices Supported Read More
An analysis of what kind of devices and operating systems are supported by these B2B tools in the Application Development Software category, including mobile platforms and web-based solutions.
Laguages Supported Read More
Check what languages and countries are served by the top B2B apps in the Application Development Software category, including services designed for international markets and prepared for multi-cultural teams of employees.
Pricing Model Read More
Learn which pricing models are offered by the vendors in the Application Development Software category to check which one fits your business preferences and budget best. Be aware that some solutions can support free or freemium accounts for you to try out first.
Customer Types Read More
An analysis of which groups of clients a specific B2B software in the Application Development Software category provides for, from small businesses and non-profits to big enterprises.
Deployment Read More
A summary of what styles of service deployement are supported by every B2B vendor in the Application Development Software category. While most of modern SaaS services are cloud-hosted certain services might offer an on-site deployment model too.