One of the backbones of today’s digital revolution is hosting services. It is to the information age what steam and coal were to the industrial age: the source of power to run things, in this case, to drive the internet. Having a website has come a long way from being an online vanity gig to what it is today–ground zero from where businesses set forth to reach the outlying borders of the web, from social media to mobile internet to the realm of apps and the cloud.
At the heart of your online presence is your website, while at its core is the hosting service. Whether you’re a service provider or any other large enterprise or small business for that matter, even a freelancer, it pays to know some key web hosting research data that are propelling the industry into the future — one that is likely to impact yours. We’ve also prepared some web hosting charts for quick and easy reference.
1. Web Hosting Market Share & Size
From the very first website hosted by a NeXT computer that went live in 1989 up to the present, so many technological advancements had since been made, which created today’s gargantuan cyberspace. Almost every human being on the planet is using the Internet for personal, business, educational, social, and other purposes, making it one of the most important inventions ever. Here are some important web hosting statistics that matter.
- As of May 2019, the total number of domains hosted worldwide is 154,608,076, while the total number of web hosting services providers is 338,561. (WebHosting)
- The global web hosting services market is expected to grow annually at a 15.9% CAGR from 2018 to 2023. From $32.12 billion in 2017, it is predicted to reach a market valuation of $76.2 billion by 2023. (Market Research Future)
- Since 2010, the size of the global dedicated web hosting market has been on an upward trend and is predicted to reach $6.53 billion by 2020 (Statista); the shared web hosting market is currently at $18.7 billion worldwide (Statista).
- The web hosting market is dominated by 10 of the leading hosting companies, which controls 24% of the entire market. (WebsiteHostingInsider)
- Hosting the most number of users worldwide, the top three web hosts are GoDaddy (19.49%), Amazon Web Services (3.26%), and 1&1 (3.25%). (HostAdvice)
- The country with the highest number of hosted domains is the United States, with 107,624,658 domains. Germany follows with 7,936,547 domains, while China has 4,215,653. (WebHosting)
- The web hosting market is highly domestic in character. In the Czech Republic, for example, 10 out of 10 leading hosting companies there are local, while in Italy, 9 out of 10 of the biggest web hosting providers are Italian. In France, 8 out of the top 10 hosting websites are French, and the same trend applies to Germany, where German web hosts dominate the domestic market. (HostAdvice)
- In 2019, mobile phone internet user penetration across the world will be 63.4% (Statista). It was in November 2016 when, for the first time, mobile internet access had surpassed traditional desktop usage (51.6%) of traffic online. (StatCounter)
- Also, the United States controls 57% of the global web hosting market share in 2019. Germany comes a distant second at (9.13%) followed by China (3.17%), United Kingdom (3.56%), Japan (2.79%), France (2.74%), Netherlands (2.63%), Canada (2.12%), Russia (1.66%), and Italy (1.55%). (HostAdvice, 2019)
- The global shared hosting market size has grown steadily over the last five years; 2014 ($12.63 billion), 2015 ($14.05 billion), 2016 ($15.53 billion), 2017 ($17.07 billion) and 2018 ($18.67 billion). (Hosting Tribunal, 2019)
- At the same time, the global cloud computing market has recorded a similar trend in the last five years; 2014 ($59.91billion), 2015 ($72.1 billion), 2016 ($85.96 billion), 2017 ($101.21 billion) and 2018 ($117.96 billion). (Hosting Tribunal, 2019)
- In the US alone, GoDaddy controls 33.67% of the web hosting market. On the other hand, 1&1 is the leading hosting service provider in Germany, dominating 26.3% of the market. Other leading web hosting service providers by country include Aliyun (33.67%) in China, Webfusion (16.72%) in the UK, and XServer (13.29%) in Japan. (Hosting Tribunal, 2019)
- Endurance International Group (EIG) empowers more than 60 web hosting brands, including BlueHost, HostGator, SiteBuilder, Domain.com, BuyDomains, iPage, FatCow, and HostMonster. (Endurance.com, 2019)
- GoDaddy Group controls 6.6% of the global brand’s market share, followed closely by Amazon (5.9%), Endurance Group (4.9%), OVH (4.2%), and Google (4.1%). (Hosting Tribunal, 2019)
- In total, there are 147,158,378 registered domains today, and the number is increasing at a steady rate. (Hosting Tribunal, 2019)
- Also, there are 130,063,253 domains registered in unknown countries, whereas 10,759,777 domains are hidden. (Hosting Tribunal, 2019)
- As of 2019, the top domain name registrars include GoDaddy.com, LLC (19.28%), NameCheap Inc (3.24%), Tucows Domain Inc (3.18%), HiChina Zhicheng Technology Limited (2.18%), Network Solutions LLC (2.11%), eNom, LLC (1.89%), Alibaba Cloud Computing Ltd (1.85%), GMO Internet, inc d/b/a Onamae.com (1.64%), PDR Ltd (1.56%), and Xin Net Technology Corporation (1.38%). (Domain Name Stat, 2019)
- On average, 900,000 domains are registered every week. (Hostsorter, 2019)
- In addition, Google Cloud Platform gained 34.92% new clients from other platforms. Other top gainers include Bluehost (20.63% new clients), AWS (19.84% new clients), HostGator (17.46% new clients), and Network Solutions (7.14 new clients). (HostAdvice, 2019)
The current web hosting market size offers a number of implications, especially for businesses. Aside from the reality that Internet growth continues to accelerate in each passing year, the constant expansion and diffusion among users primarily indicate that the Internet has changed human life as we know it, from dusk ’till dawn and beyond, and it will continue to do so.
2. Web Hosting Facts
The first website, info.cern.ch, has been online for the past 30 years and is still running. Since then, billions of new websites had been created. Of today’s 1.5 billion+ websites on the world wide web, below 200 million are active. Here are some awesome web hosting facts that you’ll likely appreciate knowing.
- It took the telephone 75 years to reach its first 50 million users, the radio 38 years, while television needed 13 years; the Internet only needed four years to do so. (Citi GPS)
- As of May 2019, an average of 1.6 billion websites worldwide are online at the same time on a daily basis. (InternetWorldStats)
- Apache hosting servers are used by 46.9% of all available websites, followed closely by Nginx at 37.8%. (Top10WebsiteHosting)
- As of the 1st January 2018, the number of total internet users across the world was 4,156,932,140. (Statista)
- The top 10 domain name extensions, which represent a combined 150 million registrations, include .com (82.01 million), .de (Germany, 13.05 million), .cn (China, 12.55 million), .net (12.42 million), .uk (United Kingdom, 7.83 million), and .org (7.79 million). (iwantmyname)
- The largest country-specific TLDs include .cn (China, 22.7 million), .tk (Tokelau, 21.5 million), .de (Germany, 16.2 million), .uk (United Kingdom, 12 million), .nl (Netherlands, 5.8 million), .ru (Russian, 5.8M), .tw (Taiwan, 4.8M), .br (Brazil, 4.0M), .eu (Europe, 3.7 million), and .fr (France, 3.3M). (Hosting Tribunal, 2019)
- The highest estimate for an internet domain worth is $3 billion called Cars.com. (Jalopnik)
- The most expensive domain names in the world include carinsurance.com ($49.7%), insurance.com ($35.6 million), privatejet.com ($30.18million), vacationrentals.com ($35 million), and internet.com ($18 million). (Hosting Tribunal, 2019)
- 47% of consumers think that a website should load in 2 seconds or less; if not, 40% will leave the site. (PivotTree)
- Mobile online social media users are the fastest-growing segment of internet users. (VPNMentor)
- Domain name registrations have increased annually by 4.9% to around 16.3 million by the end of 2018. (Verisign)
- As of 2019, the top content management systems (CMS) hosted included WordPress (78.54%), Wix (11.3%), Sitefinity (3.78%), Joomla (3.33%), and Squarespace (3.04%). (HostAdvice, 2019)
- Besides, as of August 2019, the five most used web servers included Apache (38.89%), Nginx (22.72%), IIS (20.42%), Lightspeed (1.8%), and Apache Traffic Server (0.58%). (HostAdvice, 2019)
- Additionally, as of August 2019, the five most used programming languages were PHP (28.89%), Microsoft ASP.NET (19.69%), Lua (2.62%), Ruby (0.79%), and Java (0.63%). (HostAdvice, 2019)
- When it comes to the most used Operating Systems (OS) as of August 2019, Windows Servers led the way at (20.73%), followed by UNIX (2.01%), Ubuntu (1.85%), CentOS (1.8%), Debian (1.27%), and Red Hat (0.14%). (HostAdvice, 2019)
- Between 2017 and 2018, web users around the globe registered nearly 16.3 million domain names. This was approximately 4.9% increase in the number of registered domain names. (Hosting Tribunal, 2019)
- There are 322 country-specific TLDs, 1,245 new gTLDs, and seven generic TLDs. (Domain Name Stat, 2019).
- As of September 2019, the top 10 new gTLDs included .top (13.61%), .xyz (9.68%), .icu (7.31), .site (6.22%), .club (5.92%), .online (5.04%), .vip (3.87%), .shop (2.51%), .live (2.37%), and .work (2.27%). (ntlstats.com, 2019)
- In terms of domain distribution by TLD type, Generic TLDs lead the way at 51%, followed by country-specific TLD (37%), and New generic TLD (12%). (Domain Name Stat, 2019)
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) hosts more than 100,000 users spread across 190 countries. (Hosting Tribunal)
- Approximately, 43.59% of all the domain names in the globe use .com domain name extension. (Hostingfacts, 2018)
- As of 2018, the total number of websites hosted online was 1,639,322,597, and the number is growing at a steady rate. Web hosting providers are scrambling for a piece of this cake. (Internet Live Stats, 2019)
- Wix was the leading website builder of 2018, dominating 22.61% of the total market share. Squarespace came in second with 17.15%, followed by Weebly (15.67%), Google Sites (6.61%), and Blogger (6.4%). (Statista, 2018)
- On the other hand, in terms of eCommerce technology usage, WooCommerce controls 25% of the global market. The platform is followed closely by Shopify (20%), Magento (10%), OpenCart (4%), and BigCommerce (3%). (BuiltWith, 2018)
- Besides, in the top 1 million websites, WooCommerce Checkout is used by 32,756 sites, Shopify (26,147 sites), Magento (13,120 sites), OpenCart (4,711 sites), BigCommerce (4,150 sites), and Shopify Plus (3,102 websites). (BuiltWith, 2018)
- In total, WooCommerce is used by 10,040,507 websites. (BuiltWith, 2018)
- In terms of WooCommerce usage by country, the USA leads the way with 4,070327 sites, followed by Uk (298,851), Australia (162,195), Germany (198,651), Canada (147,982), Russia (184,162), France (139,248), Brazil (125,449), and Netherlands (77,606). (BuiltWith, 2018)
- Besides, WordPress is used in 25,267,924 websites on the entire internet. Interestingly, 8,912,699 of these websites are in the USA. (BuiltWith, 2018)
Source: Verisign Designed by
Since its birth, virtually everything about the Internet seems to have a massive nature, including its magnitude, capacity, and global reach. The current total number of websites is estimated using Worldometers’ algorithm, which processes data expanded upon by statistical analysis after being gathered from different sources like Matthew Gray of MIT and Netcraft.
3. Web Hosting Economic Impact
Whether it is used for email, research, sharing files, gaming, education, or entertainment, the internet tends to always bear the financial aspect, among other values. From the web hosting data we’ve gathered, here are some key economic effects of the Internet.
- 66% say website performance influences how they perceive a business, 35% are less likely to buy from a poorly performing website, and 33% create a negative impression of a business with a low-quality website. (SingleStone)
- For shared hosting, the fees to pay range from $3 – $10 per month. For VPS hosting, expect to pay $30 – $55 per month for a mid-range VPS hosting service. (WebHostingSecretRevealed)
- It is estimated that slow loading websites cost the US economy more than $500 million annually, with a delay of one-second decreasing conversion rates by as high as 7%. (WebsiteHostingInsider)
- For 2017-2018, 24% of respondents worldwide say that the average hourly server downtime costs between $301,000 and $400,000. (Statista)
- The number of people across the world using e-commerce platforms to buy consumer goods increased by 8% in 2018, with almost 1.8 billion people worldwide now buying online. (WeAreSocial)
- As of 2018, the United States domain name industry was worth $6 billion. (Hosting Tribunal, 2019)
- In 2018, US consumers spent a total of $517.36 billion with online merchants. This is a 15% increase from $449.88 billion spent in 2017. (Hosting Tribunal, 2019)
- In 2018 alone, Amazon Web Services accumulated $25.7 billion in revenue. This was a 47% increase from the amount collected in 2017. (Quartz, 2019)
These figures clearly indicate that to survive and succeed in today’s digital-heavy business environment, it is critical to have an attractive and functional company website that loads fast, is online all the time, and with content that addresses the needs of your target audience. Having a reputable and dependable web host is key to achieving these requirements.
4. Web Hosting Top Features
Just like any technology product or service, the market success (or failure) of web hosting providers depends largely on the quality of their service offerings. While customers tend to choose web hosts for their business or personal use based on their specific needs, certain notable features help a lot in enabling some of the top web hosting companies to perform well in the current market consistently, including speed, uptime, load time, etc.
- The average connection speed of internet users has jumped from 2 Mbps in 2011 to almost 6.5 Mbps in 2018, gaining a 200% increase. (WebsiteHostingInsider)
- A 4-second delay in page load leads to an 11.02% loss in page views, while a 20-second page load delay results in a 44.19% loss in page views. (Optimizely)
- Increasing the loading time from 8 seconds to 2 seconds results in a 74% increase in conversion rate. (WebsiteHostingInsider)
- Of the world’s top 50 e-commerce websites, the fastest site loads in just 0.457 seconds, while the average page load speed is at 2.51 seconds. (Pingdom)
- More than 50,000 websites get hacked each day (WebARX), 43% of cybercrimes worldwide are against SMBs (Cybint).
- The cheapest web hosts today are Bluehost and GoDaddy, mainly because these providers have the most users in their below $5 subscription plans. (CodeinWP)
- The yearly run rate of worldwide IP traffic was 1.5 ZB in 2017. The rate is expected to reach 4.8 ZB by 2022. (Hosting Tribunal, 2019)
Source: "WordPress Hosting Survey 2019." CodeinWP,
With so many options in the market today, it really pays to know exactly what you need, from the features up to the type of hosting. Many businesses are already satisfied with the benefits that dedicated hosting offers over shared hosting. But do you know some companies are actually opting to self-host their websites for greater control and other advantages?
Most Popular Web Hosting Services
- Cloudways. Offers user-friendly hosting packages that are fast, scalable, and lightweight, making it ideal for small and medium-sized businesses. Our Cloudways review will walk you through its features, pricing, and offerings.
- Bluehost. A widely-used cloud-based web hosting platform with a user-friendly interface and low pricing plans. Read our Bluehost review for more details.
- HostGator. One of the leading providers of dedicated, VPS, reseller, and shared hosting solutions for Windows and Linux. Check out this HostGator review for more information on this popular hosting provider.
- HostMonster. Provides dependable web hosting service known for its high uptime and best-in-class quality. Our HostMonster review will walk you through its features, pricing, and other details.
- InMotion Hosting. A popular web hosting provider among SMBs. This vendor offers fast and cost-effective hosting services. For more details, read our InMotion Hosting review.
5. Web Hosting Trends & Predictions
We’re already at the start of Web 3.0 that will likely feature blockchain technology, which aims to decentralize web hosting by keeping small parts of websites on numerous small nodes spread across the world, promising sufficient redundancy to remain online despite a node failure. Aside from this, here are some key web hosting trends everyone must take note of.
- The volume of the Internet will increase from 33 zettabytes in 2018 to 175 zettabytes by 2025 (One zettabyte is equivalent to a trillion gigabytes). (IDC)
- At the start of 2019, it is expected that over half of the world’s population — or 3.82 billion users — will be online. (Seagate)
- From 7 exabytes a month in 2016, the global mobile data traffic is predicted to increase to 49 exabytes a month by 2021. (Statista)
- Because of robust security and high uptime, cloud hosting solutions are expected to dominate the global web hosting market. (AheadWorks)
- 24% of large enterprises and 8% of SMEs are now using a private cloud, mostly to host their data. (Eurostat)
- As of February 2019, mobile devices accounted for 48% of the global web page views. (Statista, 2019)
- As of June 2018, the Americas (97.1%) had the highest mobile broadband subscription penetration rate, followed by Europe at 93.6%. Overall, the global mobile broadband subscription rate was 69.3 %. (Statista, 2019)
- Globally, web hosting is growing at an annual rate of 15.5%. Managed web hosting (18.7%) is the fastest-growing segment of the industry, followed by shared web hosting (10.4%), and dedicated web hosting (5.7%). (Hosting Tribunal, 2019)
- Approximately 71.3% of the total cloud services are enterprise-oriented. (McAfee, 2016)
- On average, this is how companies are spending the IT budget allocation; hardware (35%), software (25.7%), hosted/cloud-based services (20.8%), managed services (13.9%). (Spiceworks, 2019)
- Of the total hosted/cloud budget, companies spend 9% on web hosting and 4% on cloud storage. (Spiceworks, 2019)
- 90% of the total hacked websites were WordPress websites, Magento (4.6%), Joomla (4.3%), Drupal (3.7%), ModX (0.9%), Prestashop (0.6%), and OpenCart (0.4%). (Sucuri Reports, 2018)
- The first-ever website, called info.cern.ch, was published on 06/08/1991 by Tim Berners-Lee, a British physicist. (Internet Live Stats, 2019)
- Approximately 51.3% of all websites do not use a CMS solution. (Website hosting ratings, 2019)
These hosting trends mainly suggest that along with the continued exponential growth of the Internet, we should expect disruptive changes in the years to come.
Use these statistics when searching for a web host
The basic rule in web hosting involves the 4 Ss, security, support, speed, and scalability. Aside from having a list of things to look for in a web host, the provider you’re planning to choose must, at the very least, be able to offer bank-grade security to remove or somehow reduce the anxiety of having your website hacked.
It must also provide excellent support that you can readily access 24/7. In this era of accelerating technological advances, the best way to keep up with your competitors, as well as business changes, is by ensuring that your website runs as fast as possible.
Finally, your web host should also provide you with the capability to quickly scale your website as the number of your target users increases in number and requirements, including the flexibility to manage the sudden inflow of high traffic.
Whether you prefer dedicated web host providers or shared hosts, doing enough research online to address the particular web hosting needs of your business will help a lot. And in case you’re a small business or a freelancer that’s still on a tight budget, there are more than a dozen reliable free web hosting services that you can choose from.