What is the best backup software solution for 2019?
The best backup software solution is Vembu BDR Suite. The platform offers users with a centralized portal where they can perform all of their backup and recovery tasks. It also uses state-of-the-art features to help you safeguard your data whether you store them in a virtual or physical environment. What’s more, the vendor offers flexible pricing plans that suit businesses of all sizes.
Modern businesses rely on computers now more than ever to store their operational data. This is why it is important to utilize a backup software solution to keep your confidential information safe in case of equipment failure or security breaches. However, finding a reliable provider of backup tools can be overwhelming.
In this article, we are presenting some of the leading backup software solutions on the market so that you can narrow down your choice to the most suitable for your operations. We assessed the platforms for usability, comprehensiveness of features, customizations and overall value for money.
Transiting into 2019, the software production industry will be facing a challenge beyond ensuring business continuity. Alongside all efforts to make companies more efficient, developers will engage in a daily battle with perilous ransomware and cyber threats, and will need to level up their armory from current average applications.
How well do you know backup software? We, as all ordinary front-desk users relying on a powerful engine, lack at least half of the adequate acquaintance with cyber danger. What we like doing the most is entrusting sensitive data to a well-reputed provider, and pay upon a promise that our numbers will never be misused. But are things, indeed, that simple?
As Benoy Tamang (CEO of eFileCabinet.org) stated for SmartBusinessMagazine, a good backup system is supposed to keep business running smoothly even when there is no one in control. This comes fairly close to a proper backup definition, had we excluded the need for that system to ensure recovery in case of natural and human-caused disasters. The challenge is that we’re all looking for a system that will make access to our data effortless, but do so not compromising the fact that nobody else has the same privileges. Plus, the fact that no system is 100% secure is not just an urban legend, and we have to deal with the idea of bearing 50% of that responsibility ourselves.
The good side of the story is that more and more businesses are upgrading from local backup solutions, and choosing best backup software suites to safeguard their information. A large number of them are small and aspiring market performers whose inexperience doesn’t stop them from looking at worst-case scenarios, and fearing a database crash. According to a Strategic Research Institute’s report, 60% of the companies that lose data shut down within 6 months, in particular those whose security provider was unable to retrieve access the first 10 days from the disaster. The Ponemon Institute, on the other hand, reveals that global cost of data breaches can shoot up to $148 for each compromised document. This is why back & recovery has become the most purchased data management service back in 2018.
Can you trust your data management & safety provider? Most users will only understand how safe they are when an actual threat emerges, but only because they are not aware of those threats already bouncing off their secure firewalls. With an incident in your portfolio, nonetheless, it may be the time to look for a more reliable backup solution. Our list of 20 best backup software solutions is a great place to start.
The products on our 20 best backup software list were selected by data security experts, and compared with technical details and safety reputation in mind. They are the highest-ranked leaders in the IT/Recovery market, and adopt a modern approach towards ensuring unobstructed data access.
1. Vembu BDR Suite
Vembu BDR Suite is a robust backup software designed to help businesses with their various disaster and recovery needs. It provides users with a centralized portal where they can get access to an array of recovery and backup options, secure data transmission solutions, as well as data monitoring tools. Be it simple databases for small companies to sophisticated data centers of enterprises, this platform can protect the data that you store in virtual and physical environments. It is also optimized to serve companies who offer BaaS and DRaaS to their customers.
This user-friendly platform can be deployed via cloud or on-premise. To top it all off, Vembu BDR Suite offers reasonable SMB and enterprise pricing options that can scale up or down depending on your backup requirements.
What is unique about Vembu BDR Suite?
- Centralized management console. The Vembu BDR Suite provides users with a unified and intuitive management portal where you can manage and perform all backup monitoring and recoveries. With this, you can keep all of your important data in one place.
- Supports various virtual environments. While this backup software was built to manage virtual machines that run on Hyper-V as well as VMware, it has the capacity to integrate with any virtual environment.
- Robust Windows machine protection. Equipped with a comprehensive Vembu ImageBackup feature, this software solution will allow you to create disk images of your physical Windows endpoints. By doing so, you can protect your Windows machines without hassle.
- Best-in-class VembuNetwork backup feature. Another tool that Vembu BDR Suite has up its sleeves is the VembuNetwork Backup feature. This allows you to safeguard confidential files and applications across servers.
- Scalable architecture. Lastly, Vembu BDR Suite is designed to scale up and down along with your business. It lets you add extra storage space when needed and it also offers compression mechanisms and deduplication solutions to decrease the storage specifications for backup repositories.
2. Microsoft System Center
Microsoft System Center is a suite of independent system management modules, including a Configuration Manager and a Database Operations Manager for custom protection. It enables end-to-end IT control and simplifies the deployment, configuration, management, and monitoring of any virtual database, with or without an agile IT team. It guarantees hassle-free implementation, in-site and regular upgrades, and a straightforward console of automated workflows, and supports multiple heterogeneous and open systems, among which Linux, Hyper-V, and VMware. You can also use it to quickly diagnose and fix infrastructure and applications issues, as it uses a dedicated Operations Management suite to integrate your multiple data centers, and to ensure full visibility. The Configuration Manager, on the other hand, provides easy access to data and management operations for all agents, regardless of their location or device. You can either purchase the Standard Edition designed for 2 Operating system environments / Hyper-V Containers, or get the dedicated Datacenter edition to manage unlimited system environments and server containers.
What is unique about Microsoft System Center?
- End-to-end data center management. With MSC, users are able to perform their data-related functions, from deployment, configuration, management, and monitoring of their infrastructure and virtualized software-defined datacenter.
- Unlimited access to corporate data. Unlike most setup, Microsoft System Center brings together all elements of datacenter management under one neat console.=, and lets agents connect to corporate data regardless of their location.
- Support for all heterogeneous and open systems. With MSC, you can manage and monitor heterogeneous and open systems, including Linux, Hyper-V, and VMware.
- Unlimited system environments and server consoles. Purchasing Microsoft’s ultimate Datacenter edition, users can manage an unlimited number of system environments and server consoles.
- One-Click features. MSC’s straightforward console allows users to complete complex and time-consuming tasks with a single click, and without compromising agility and performance. At the same time, they will enjoy faster time to value experience as the system allows them to instantly realize value with easy installations, automated workflows, and in-place updates and upgrades.
3. VMWare vCenter Server
VMWare’s vCenter is another leading backup & recovery service crafted as a unified console for proactive data management. You can use it to manage all of your VMware vSphere environments, and fully automate operations across your virtual infrastructure. vCenter is easy to deploy with host profiles or a Linux-based virtual appliance, and uses powerful tools like vRealize Log Insight to expand your control outside your current resources. For example, you can trigger its Web Client Plug-ins and SDKs to manage 3rd-party elements, and deliver optimal performance, better security model, client isolation against failures in one plug-in, and enhanced vCSA scalability. Once active, the Linked Mode will support up to 64 hosts, and let you manage up to 30,000 virtual machines across ten vCenter Server instances.
What is unique about VMWare vCenter Server?
- Unparalleled scalability. On its own, vCenter can manage as many as 10,000 machines in the virtual world. What’s even better is the Linked mode where you can link other servers if you run out of capacity (up to 10 VCenter Servers and manage 30,000 machines worldwide).
- Less-than-10-minutes RTO. You can use vCenter’s native high availability server and active-passive HA capability to protect your services with an RTO shorter than 10 minutes.
- Linux-first. VMWare vCenter Server is particularly designed for Linux based systems, and takes only one step to migrate all your information from a Windows vCenter Server to this Linux platform.
- Centralized control. With the HTML 5-based vSphere Client, you can users to custom roles, search vCenter inventory or provision new virtual machines at the click of a button.
- Long list of certified web client plugins. vCenter offers a large number of certified web client plugins, among which Dell OpenManagement Integration for VMware vCenter Plug-in, Huawei Technologies Storage NGC Plugin (Flex and HTML5), IBM Storage Enhancements for vSphere Plug-in, and many more.
4. Acronis Backup Recovery
Acronis is a flagship backup & recovery services for businesses from all scales and industries. Reliable and easy to use, Acronis takes 15 seconds to full recover compromised data, and enjoys the confidence of over half a million satisfied users. It is also a flexible, user-first solution you can deploy on-premises, in remote systems, in private and public clouds, or on mobile devices, and relies on blockchain-based authentication to guarantee the safe access to your information. This means that Acronis can be given a role in all portions of your hybrid cloud infrastructure, including physical systems, virtual hypervisors and VMs, and act as a unified storage system that distributes data in even 5 different locations (local disks, NAS, SAN, tape, and its cloud storage database).
What is unique about Acronis Backup Recovery?
- World’s fastest data recovery. With Acronis Backup Recovery, it will take you literally 3 clicks to gain access to backed up data, and 15 seconds to recover it regardless of the damage.
- Flexible deployment. Acronis Backup Recovery gives you the freedom to choose how to deploy it, be that on-premises, in remote systems, in private and public clouds, or even on mobile devices.
- Secure offsite platform. Next to storing your data in 4 well-guarded and monitored locations, the software integrates seamlessly with Acronis cloud – a feature with an extra price tag, but one the is useful if you are looking to secure your data on an offsite platform.
- No size & volume restrictions. Acronis Backup and Recovery makes it easy for users to recover and restore your date, from humongous data sets to small individual files and folders. Plus, you will have access to backup copies any time you want, from any device or location.
- Innovative protection mechanisms. Acronis is a touch-friendly, web-based management console that safeguards your systems with a modern ActiveProtection module – one-of-a-kind backup technology that detects and prevents unauthorized encryption of files.
BackupPC is an enterprise-grade, yet open-source data backup system for Linux, WinXX and MacOSX PCs users. The system is hassle-free to install and maintain, which makes it even more attractive for small and developing businesses interested to enhance security. Using it, you won’t need any additional software to let it extract your data, as BackupPC uses a standard smb protocol and a variety of restoring options to zip and download your files. The admin, on the other side, will get a number of flexible configuration parameters, an a powerful, mobile-optimized interface where he can monitor log files, configuration, current statuses, and initiate and cancel his backup sessions. So far, the system has been tested by Linux, Freenix and Solaris hosts, and Linux, Win95, Win98, Win2000 and WinXP clients.
What is unique about BackupPC?
- Smart and minimized storage technology. BackupPC uses an intelligent pooling scheme to minimize disk I/O and storage, and identifies with ease identical files stored on multiple devices to compress only those that are new.
- A variety of restoring options against minimal user intervention. BackupPC puts in place multiple data restoration options, and you don’t have to install any particular software to let it download and export your files. Next to the standard SMB protocol, BackupPC features direct restore (via smbclient, tar, or rsync/rsyncd), zip, and tap files.
- Mobile-friendly. BackupPC supports mobile environments for laptops with dynamic IP addresses (DHCP), or even such that are only intermittently connected to the network.
- Performs multiple backups at once. BackupPC can perform multiple backups in parallel, letting the user decide which files to backup, which directories and databases to backup/not backup, reschedule full and incremental backups and email reminders, and much more.
- A free system. BackupPC is an open source backup solution, and it is thus available at no charge for all users under GPL.
6. Veritas NetBackup
NetBackup is Veritas’s leading enterprise and multi-cloud backup solution designed for unified data protection. It will protect your multi-cloud, physical, and virtual data environments, and be of great use to mitigate spiraling storage costs for users expanding to the cloud. What makes it unique is the protection of Big Data, Hyperconverged, and Open Source workloads, and straightforward integration with Veritas products Information Map, Velocity, and Resiliency Platform for a 360-degree, as-a-service data management experience. You can connect it seamlessly to all of your Oracle databases, and secure additional cloud hosting for your most sensitive information. For the purpose, Veritas will let you choose from the largest selection of fully-tested cloud service providers.
What is unique about Veritas NetBackup?
- Universal applicability. Veritas NetBackup is designed to work with various types of operating systems and setups, making it a very popular choice for small to large enterprises and organizations.
- NetBackup Copilot. Copilot is NetBackup’s most popular feature, as it allows unhampered access to users’ Oracle databases, and secures end-to-end protection for Big Data, Hyperconverged, and Open Source workloads.
- NetBackup Accelerator. NetBackup Accelerator is another important feature designed for Dell EMC Isilon, which enables 50% faster, secure, and cost-efficient storage. It is further supported by NetBackup Catalyst, a feature whose role is to harden network security.
- Friendly to first-time users. Veritas NetBackup is designed to be friendly, even non-technical users and inexperienced IT professionals. This enables them to independently manage and control specific facets of backup and recovery with the use intuitive interfaces and native tools.
- 360-degree data management. You can easily connect your NetBackup account to Veritas Velocity, Information Map, and Resiliency platform, in order to manage data end-to-end, and maximize the output of your investment.
Avamar is an EMC deduplication backup tool that employs dedicated hardware + variable-length deduplication technology to make backup faster and more reliable. What this DELL service does is to reduce the size of your backup data and store it in multiple constantly monitored locations, and it is fully optimized for virtual environments, network-attached storage (NAS), and enterprise applications. The instant benefit of Avamar is reducing network traffic, as this tool leverages existing local area network (LAN) and wide area network (WAN) bandwidth for enterprisewide and remote/branch office backup, and places data at your disposal with only one click. Using it, your databases will be checked daily and repaired instantly upon need, and all performed changes will be neatly documented in a historical database.
What is unique about Avamar?
- RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks). RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) is a unique deduplication technlogy that ensures minor failures won’t hinder the overall performance of the system. Avamar also features the RAIN technology which makes sure that you can access files without any interruptions.
- Bandwidth optimization. With Avamar, you can optimize the bandwidth for faster operations as well as to reduce network traffic. More bandwidth means you get done with more work in less time.
- Very scalable system. Applied independently, Avamar can deduplicate up to 124 TB of data. For extra scalability, the platform can be deployed in an integrated solution with EMC Data Domain systems.
- Single-click recovery. Avamar makes it easy to browse, point, and click for a file, and its smart features work autonomously saving your time and efforts.
- Daily and scheduled backups. Using Avamar, you can easily schedule and reschedule backup sessions, while the system will monitor your databases independently, and fix issues instantly upon need.
NetWorker is another well-reputed EMC product (formerly known as Legato), which specializes in granular disaster recovery, and whose role is to unify and automate backup operations to tape, disk-based, and flash-based storage media across physical and virtual environments. In such manner, NetWorker brings your on-premise and in-cloud protection operations under the same roof, and enables backup-in-cloud, LTR to cloud, backup-to-disk, snapshot and replication management and tape transfers from the very same interface. An interesting option is to integrate NetWorker with EMC Avamar, as this way you can benefit from industry’s leading data deduplicaton technologies for an even easier recovery. At the same time, NetWorker is flexible enough to connect to any mission-critical business application, and meet your required service levels.
What is unique about NetWorker?
- Unified recovery interface. On a single user dashboard, NetWorker gathers together a wide range of features and capabilities designed to help business store, retrieve, backup and protect your data, whether in your internal servers or in cloud-hosted databases.
- Industry-leading recovery speed. With EMC NetWorker, users are able to backup and recover their data and other files with industry-leading speed, security and scalability.
- Out-of-the-box recovery features. With its unified management functionality, users are able to utilize various features from single page. These features include including backup-to-disk, backup-in-Cloud, LTR to cloud, ProtectPoint backup, snapshot and replication management, and tape.
- Seamless integrations. NetWorker connects easilyt with other business apps, including EMC Data Domain Boost, accelerate workflows and processes.
- Fully cloud-enabled. Using Dell EMC CloudBoost and Data Domain Cloud Tier, NetWorker delivers highly efficient and secure long-term retention of backups in leading private or public cloud offering.
Veeam is another data loss prevention product that appears on all top backup listings. At the moment, it is used by more than 250,000 customers to protect over 13 million of VMs, and keeps companies in control of their data 24/7, with no exceptions. Elegantly designed, Veeam is known to follow the rapid pace of technological innovations, and handles and protects unlimited data workloads from a variety of sources. Depending on the market tier you belong too, Veeam is available in three different packages: Backup Essentials (for small businesses up to 250 employees); Backup & Replication (for medium businesses and developing enterprises); and Availability Suite (for large enterprises). To protect offsite infrastructures, BaaS and DRaaS VMs, Veeam has built over 14,000 (and counting) industry partnerships.
What is unique about Veeam?
- Works with all leading virtualization platforms. Veeam supports all top virtualization platforms, including in particular Microsoft and VMWare databases. In such way, it helps customers control all of their virtual data structures.
- Availability Suite. Veeam’s unique Availability Suite is packed with state-of-art features that ensure your workload is being fairly divided across physical and virtual channels. This means that you can recover all your apps and files within 15 minutes of any unwanted accident.
- Interactive reporting. Veeam is one of the very few backup systems that enable intuitive reporting. It complies with all regulations, and documents each and every piece of work.
- Cloud Backup for Microsoft Office 365. Veeam offers cloud backup for Office 365 that stores mailbox items from on-premises Exchange or Office 365 Exchange Online organization to an offline repository and then allows users to browse & restore these items.
- No size limitations. With multiple high storage options available, you won’t have to worry about your file size and their protection. The servers are up all the time and backup data after every designated interval to ensure that you don’t miss out on any important files.
10. Macrium Reflect
Macrium Reflect 7 is another free-to-use backup, disk imaging and cloning solution for personal and commercial use. It will secure all of your data in an easy-to-recover backup copy, and give you unparalleled freedom to switch between operating systems and to upgrade your hard disk. Its most prominent features include creating live images of a running Windows OS, browsing for backed up content in Windows Explorer, direct cloning, scheduled backups, rapid delta cloning and restoration, incremental backup, bare metal restore to dissimilar hardware, and more. Business users are also invited to download the integrated ViBoot2 for instant virtualization of Macrium backup images, as well as the Task Scheduler 2 if looking for compatibility with Windows 10 1605 (anniversary edition) and newer editions.
What is unique about Macrium Reflect?
- Free to use. With Macrium Reflect 7, both individual users and businesses can backup and restore data for free, and have the peace of mind that all their information is well protected while upgrading their hard disk. Paid packages are available for users purchasing more licenses, or those interested in premium support.
- Multiple data backup options. For business purposes, Macrium Reflect puts in action a variety of backup mechanisms, including incremental and encrypted backup, consolidation with synthetic full technology, server class OS backup and restore, MS Exchange and SQL granular backup, and more.
- Multiple data restore options. Macrium facilitates and accelerates data restorations in several different ways, including retrieval from non-booting systems, direct disk cloning, rapid delta cloning and restore for fast DR, bare metal restore to dissimilar hardware, etc.
- 4-pack for home based users. For as much as $139.95, home based users can purchase Macrium Reflect’s 4-pack that backs up all Windows XP and Vista, 7/8/10 data to a single compressed image file. This plan, the same as ViBoot includes premium support.
- A deployment kit for technicians. Macrium grants teams up to 5 technicians a special deployment license they can use to create “Master” or “Golden” images and deploy them to an unlimited number of workstations and servers. In such way, the IT department can set up PCs without purchasing a license for each server.
11. AOMEI Backupper
AOMEI Backupper is a backup & restore suite developed for Windows users. More precisely, it enables data backup, sync, restore, and cloning services for Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP desktops, laptops and workstations. Using it, you can clone HDD to SSD, HDD to HDD, or SSD to SSD for disk upgrade and data migration; and create WinPE or Linux bootable disca for bare metal or unbootable computer.Next to the Pro Edition, the company offers an independent, yet interrelated Server Edition for minimized downtime and business continuity; and a Technician Edition for providing charged technical services. Freeware and backup utilities for home appliance are also available.
What is unique about AOMEI Backupper?
- Windows-exclusive software. Using AOMEI Backupper, Windows users get all necessary features for system/disk/files/partition backup & restore, file sync, and system clone, backup, merging images, dynamic volumes backup, UEFI boot, and GPT disk backup.
- Robust freeware for individual users. The standard free edition enables home based users to o incremental and differential backups; real-time sync of files and folders from source to target path; clone disk drives for upgrade and migration; create bootable disc for bare metal or unbootable computers; and schedule backups, among other things.
- Out-of-the-box features available for free. AOMEI comes with a number of free and unique features, including OneKey Recovery, Image Deploy, PXE Boot, and vrBackupper to move, backup and restore Oculus Games.
- Purchase guarantees. Your online purchase will be secured by 256-bit SSL encryption, and you will get a special license code to launch your application. If not satisfied with the product, AOMEI will provide a 90-day unconditional money back guarantee.
- Lifetime upgrades. With AOMEI Backupper, it only takes three simple steps to complete an upgrade and ensure that you get the latest updates, fixes, and features whenever a new version comes out.
R-Studio is an enterprise-ready, open-source recovery solution that includes a number of code editing, debugging & visualization tools. As an active member of the R-community, this platform puts in place quality data recovery technology that retrieves files from Windows servers, Linux, Unix (BSD), ReFSs, and Mac OS file systems. It is designed both as an integrated development environment and direct code execution console, and also offers a dedicated workspace management module. It can be used for free (local R-Studio access for highlighting, code completion, and smart indentation), or by purchasing a fully-featured Commercial license (offered to organizations unable to use AGPL software, and all other customers interested in premium features and priority support).
What is unique about R-Studio?
- Multiple data recovery functionalities. Data specialists, IT administrators, and other advanced computer users choose to use R-Studio as it not only works with FAT and NTFS partitions, it is also capable of recovering or retrieving data all the Linux, Unix (BSD), and Mac OS file systems as well as he new ReFS (Resilient File System) used in Windows Server.
- A clean, disk fragmenter-inspired look. he platform has a very simple look to it, like a disk fragmenter. Non-experienced users may find the system a bit confusing, but once they get fully acquainted with the platform, using R-Studio becomes a breeze.
- Virtual RAID volumes. Aside from being able to perform data recovery on FAT/NTFS (All Windows), exFAT(WinMobile, Windows Vista and Windows 7), ReFS (Resilient File System), HFS/HFS+ (Mac), UFS1/UFS2 & Ext2FS/3FS/4FS file systems, RStudio allows users to make virtual RAID volumes with disks from a failed RAID array, enabling them to (hopefully) recover data.
- Self-administered data recovery. R-Studio comes with a variety of advanced features other recovery systems don’t support, including such designed for self-administered recovery. Examples are the advanced RAID reconstruction module, the ultra-robust text/hexadecimal editor, and the highly advanced disk copying/imaging module.
- A multi-language GUI. R-Studio employs a multi-language GUI to allow users to change language on the fly, customize all known file types, and use a very advanced file previewer.
13. Paragon Backup & Recovery
Paragon is a versatile software group that offers several different toolboxes for Windows, Mac, and Linux users. Business professionals have access to several functionality modules and technical products, including a Protect & Restore and IT Essentials toolbox, a Hard Disk Manager, and a Deployment Manager. Paragon also provides support for custom-made file system drivers and platform interoperability solutions, as well as special cross-platform solutions for Windows and Mac users. Unlike most backup & protection solution, Paragon Backup & Recovery is available in multiple different languages, and offers an extensive library of manuals, case studies, and other training materials for novice users.
What is unique about Paragon Backup & Recovery?
- Embedded and OEM Solutions. To empower your business end-to-end, Paragon will put in place backup solutions for Windows, Mac, and Linux; as well as support for custom-made file system drivers, platform interoperability solutions and backup & storage management technologies.
- Solutions for IT professionals. Paragon offers centralized and scalable backup & availability solutions for modern IT infrastructures, and supports developers, IT professionals, and remote service teams with modern maintenance and development tools.
- NTFS USB Plugin for Android TV. Just recently, the Paragon Software group released a new NTFS USB Plugin for Android TV that helps users view large 4K and HD videos with any file system format.
- Availability in multiple languages. Next to English, Paragon Backup & Recovery’s information is available in 30+ different languages, including German, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian, Polish, Chinese, Portuguese, Danish, Romanian, Japanese, and more.
- An extensive training library. Novice users will find Paragon very easy to apply, as the company offers a robust library of manuals, tutorials, white papers, case studies, and other learning information.
CloudBerry is described as a cross-platform backup solution built for Amazon S3, Amazon Glacier, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Storage, Openstack Swift, and other open cloud storage providers. At the moment, it is beign used by over 300,000 clients worldwide, protecting as much as 100+ PBs of data in the cloud. The platform is designed for Windows, Mac, and Linux users, but also offers backup services for SQL, Exchange, Office 365 and Google Apps. IT service providers get a managed backup kit to perform remote management and monitoring, while personal and corporate users are offered a 256-bit AES encrypted standard backup suite & data deduplication functionality for a variety of open storage system. The services can be purchased together or independently, and are both offered with a 30-days free trial for users to examine their capacity.
What is unique about CloudBerry?
- Managed backup. CloudBerry offers a centralized data backup management console for multiple workstations. It is targeted at managed service providers (MSPs), but is also ideal for enterprise IT departments. Resellers can brand it as a third-party offering.
- Remote management of client accounts for technicians. CloudBerry Managed Backup also allows for remote management and monitoring of client accounts. A vendor-hosted console lets you manage backups via a control panel, which gives you full visibility on multiple backups and access to tools.
- Works with multiple cloud storage services. CloudBerry gives you plenty of choices among the leading and even less popular cloud storage services. From the top providers, such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud, to the less known storages from Akaza to Zetta, CloudBerry works seamlessly.
- Create Backup Plan Wizard. The Create Backup Plan Wizard gives you a clear step-by-step procedure from selecting the target source and destination to compression and encryption and initiating the backup process.
- Flexible administration for teams. CloudBerry’s Managed Backup plan lets you create multiple administrators with varying permissions. You can have a team of administrators managing the system depending on your organizational structure. This means MSP managers can delegate tasks to oversee more clients.
FBackup is the free data protection version of Backup4all (will discuss it a bit later in this article) designed for personal application. The tool includes cloud backups for Google Drive, and employs a friendly wizard to guide novice users around its simple interface. All operations are instructed in real time, so you don’t have anything to worry about even if you don’t have backup software experience. FBackup is also very adaptable, and lets you choose your preferred backup method (using full backup that zips the files, or mirror backup that doesn’t zip them); schedule and reschedule sessions; or let the system create exact copies of your original sources automatically and independently. The tool is available for free, both when used by individual and commercial clients.
What is unique about FBackup?
- Absolutely free. FBackup packs all essential data backup features and offers those upon a free download. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a private or a commercial user – you will still get all of its functionality for free!
- Backup in the cloud. FBackup’s core task is to backup cloud data, including all files and folders you’re storing on your Google Drive account. You can connect it to your Google account, and choose it as your destination, and all original data will be automatically copied and stored there.
- Standard ZIP compression. Despite of being modern and easy to use, FBackup doesn’t deviate much from traditional data storage methods. It uses familiar ZIP64 compression, which means that it can create zip files over 2GB in size, and protect them with special passwords.
- Actions before and after backup. Using FBackup, you can also choose and define the actions you want to perform before and after backup sessions. These actions include clearing, stand by, log off, hibernate or even shutting down the computer once the session is completed.
- Additional backup plugins. FBackup lets you load special plugins to restore custom data, and list the sources needed to be backed up for that particular program. Check their website for a full list of available plugins.
Carbonite is another of our suggest backup & protection solutions you can use both at home and in the office. The suite guarantees end-to-end protection for businesses risking losing their data, and does so in the form of regular backup, and correcting human error, hardware failures, ransomware, and similar issues. Cloud backup is fully automated for computers, external hard drives, and physical or virtual servers, while all files and folders can be accessed from the same web-based dashboard. Alongside, Carbonite offers also on-site backup (E2 Hybrid Backup) that brings together the speed of on-site recovery and the added security of cloud backup. The pricing scheme is moderate, and depends on the size of your data footprint and retention.
What is unique about Carbonite?
- No-brainer instantiation. To facilitate onboarding, the Carbonite team offers deployment & management services, and a very user-friendly dashboard that unites access to all stored data.
- Cloud backup only. To use Carbonite at home, you can purchase the cloud backup module, and automate backup and protection for all files on your computers, external hard drives, and NAS devices.
- Cloud + On-site backup. For business usage, Carbonite will also offer Power and Ultimate plans, and combine in-cloud with on-site storage to secure the critical applications and databases that move businesses forward.
- Custom backup and storage policies. Carbonite is a protection suite that lets you choose base storage amount per plan, and add more whenever you deem that necessary. You can also manage backup in line with your needs, and create custom backup policies by group, role, or device.
- Bare Metal Restore. You can use Carbonite Server Backup’s image backup and bare metal restore (BMR) features to easily restore existing or dissimilar hardware without installing additional applications.
Backup4all is FBackup’s professional edition tailored for business and in-office application. This Windows-exclusive software (now available for Windows 10 as well) can protect your data from partial or total loss, compress it in standardized ZIP formats to save some additional space, and encrypt all backed up files to prevent misuse and unauthorized access. At the moment, Backup4all is compatible with the 32/64-bit editions of these operating systems: Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP and Windows Server 2016/2012/2008/2003; but also lets you migrate and protect data in cloud to Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure or BOX, as well as to any local or network drive, CD, DVD, Blu-ray, and similar removable media.
What is unique about Backup4all?
- Protects data from multiple cloud storage providers. With Backup4all, you can protect the data stored on your Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure or BOX, or export data to these systems and removable media.
- Smart and independent backup service. Backup4all’s backup system is unique, and decides independently which backup type to use in order to save most of a file’s version. It will also optimize this process by choosing the most suitable location for your file.
- Restoration wizard. Backup4all’s friendly restoration wizard lets you launch backup sessions by simply pinpointing and selecting what, when, how, and where to backup. All files can be compressed with ZIP64 technology to reduce their size, and then secured with AES encryption (256-bits).
- Version tracking. Backup4all also offers a unique file version tracking mode that allows for the selective restoration of files directly from the main window.
- Backing up open files. The suite also comes with a one-of-a-kind Volume Shadow Copy service that lets you back up open files (local) from NTFS partitions in Windows Vista, XP, 2003, 2008 Server and Windows 7.
IDrive is a smart, one-account backup platform for PCs, Mac, Linux and mobile devices designed for both private and commercial usage. It offers a free, basic plan for 5 GB of data, and smoothens transition to a paid version with flexible business plans starting at $52 per year. IDrive specializes in ransomware defense and remote data backup, and enables on-site bare metal disaster recovery with its Snapshots and Virtualization. You can also use it to secure data on your social media profiles, and adhere to the highest, enterprise-grade information security standards (256-bit AES encryption included). IDrive also puts a knowledgeable support team at your disposal, and guarantees all of your issues will be settled on time.
What is unique about IDrive?
- Backup for an unlimited number of devices. With a single IDrive account, you can backup & restore data from as many devices as you want, including you PCs, Mac, Linux, and mobile devices. The number of devices is not limited per package.
- Restoring remote data. IDrive’s distinctive advantage is being able to restore and backup remote data from cloud service providers. An interesting possibility is to protect and restore data from Facebook accounts.
- Free for personal usage. If interested to backup, safeguard, and restore up to 5 GB of data, you can use IDrive absolutely for free.
- Protective snapshots. IDrive’s snapshots are historical data views that are automatically stored in your IDrive account, and help you perform point-in-time recovery in case your files undergo a ransomware attack.
- Cross-platform compatibility. Perhaps the best thing about IDrive is that it is cross-platform compatible, and makes sure that all your PCs and Macs are backed up and protected against ransomware threats.
Genie9 is a cost-effective local/cloud backup & storage solution for home based users and organizations. The company behind it has been on the market for more than 15 years, and used this experience to build a diverse family of products used by 3 million clients worldwide. The scalable AI technology adapts easily to the needs of every user, which makes Geni9 equally effective for storing home memories and invaluable business data; and relies on powerful partnerships alike those with DELL, Canon, EarthLink, AOS Technologies, and more. Last, but not least, Genie9 will meet the needs of creative MPS looking to launch their own intelligent cloud business with zero investment.
What is unique about Genie9?
- Ultra-secure storage for all users. The nature of the information you’re securing won’t matter – Genie9 will always employ the same encryption technology, and do so at prices that meet the customer’s financial capacity.
- OCR engine. Genie9’s optical character recognition engine makes it incredibly easy to find, recognize, and analyze text within scanned documents, and all PDFs, JPEGs and TIFF files.
- Genie Timeline. Genie9’s Timeline is designed for efficient backup scheduling and lets you configure it to your preference. It is fully automated, and resumes backup sessions independently upon disconnection.
- On-the-go-monitoring. Gene9 gives you the peace of mind that your backup session is running interrupted, as you can monitor the process while it is happening and track its quality on iPhone/ iPad devices.
- Zoolz intelligent cloud. Zoolz is an affordable and very secure cloud backup solution for businesses, and the first module of its kind that features 75GB lifetime storage, facial design, and eDiscovery.
Designed to work solely on mobile iOS devices, IOTransfer enables users to simplify their file management, from storing and transferring files to data back up. In just a single button click, you can quickly transfer your contacts, documents, photos, videos, and other essential files to your preferred platform. The software automatically syncs its systems after a file transfer to ensure all content readily accessible from the get-go. All backed up files can also be retrieved securely without suffering from data loss. IOTransfer also includes a free video downloader tool that enables users to download videos from over 100 websites directly to their device. To ensure users have enough free space to store more files, the software features a Smart Phone Cleaner tool that thrashes junk files from your storage and memory.
What is unique about IOTransfer?
- One-click transfers. It only takes a single button click to transfer all your photos, videos, music, and other files to your preferred device.
- Transfer files without iTunes. With iOTransfer, you can transfer files on a platform that doesn’t have iTunes. This means you can easily transfer your entire iTunes library on another platform.
- Safe file retrieval. IOTransfer ensures all backed up files can be safely retrieved without data loss.
- Free video downloader. Fill your iOS device with useful videos and watch them at your own leisure even if you’re offline.
- Smart Phone Cleaner. Optimize your phone and get rid of useful files in your iOS storage and memory in just a few button clicks.
There you have it, the 20 best backup software solutions for 2019. All the products we mentioned offer quality features that are sure to reinforce your backup and recovery tasks. However, we strongly recommend Vembu BDR Suite if you are looking for a comprehensive platform that can scale up and down depending on your needs. Be sure to sign up for a Vembu BDR Suite free trial here to test out whether it will be able to suit your operations nicely.