Toast: No. 1 POS Solution
Our score: 9.5
User satisfaction: 98%
Are you looking for a POS software company to match with your business requirements? Whether you’re a first-timer in POS systems or an existing user who’s looking for a new POS solution, narrowing down your choices can be daunting with the plethora of options available today.
Since your point-of-sale process is the central component of your business, choosing right POS software tools is just as important as selecting a product for a successful implementation. In this article, we listed the leading POS software companies to check out for all types of business user in any industry, business size, and budget.
Various companies emerged today along with new technologies and business models to provide a solution for running your business. In addition to choosing a product, looking at the peripherals of vendors is just as crucial. In the graph below, for instance, you can see from a POS software trends report how restaurants are planning to invest in POS systems.
A report by Grand View Research indicates that the global POS terminals market size is predicted to climb to $116.06 billion by 2025, demonstrating a 9.9% CAGR for the study period. Factors that are likely to drive this significant market growth include the rising market demand for mobile POS terminals and inexpensive wireless technologies.
Point-of-Sale (POS) Terminals Market Analysis Report By Grand View Research
In the US hospitality POS market, there are big players considered as the four horsemen: Heartland, Lighthouse Network, Micros, and NCR. Out of 620,000 restaurants in the US, they are deployed in almost half of them.Heartland is used by an estimate of 100,000 restaurants while Lighthouse Network is used by 110,000 restaurants according to Reforming Retail. Heartland also holds approximately 18% of the entire restaurant market share as per Business Wire. Meanwhile, Micros and NCR are used by around 75,000 restaurants in the US.
However, these POS systems are not the only options available. There’s an array of POS software companies offering products with robust features at cost-effective price points. A good example is the top 3 most popular POS software which you can read about here. Additionally, these POS solutions don’t require complex infrastructure and setup processes, hence, they are more suitable for small and medium-sized businesses. With that, here’s a list of POS software companies to check out.
20 POS Software Companies to Check Out
1. Toast POS
Toast POS is developed by Toast, Inc., a cloud-based restaurant software company based in Boston, Massachusetts. Created for US-based businesses, the software was founded in 2012 until it grew to be one of the most popular POS systems built for restaurant operations today. This software is designed for assisting guests, staffs, and managers in the food and beverage industry.
Users can access the mobile POS system anywhere and anytime as long as there’s an internet connection. The key facets in managing guest experience are accomplished in a single platform which allows you to focus on attending to your guests. The system also integrates online ordering, labor and sales reporting, and gift card and loyalty programs. You may sign up for Toast POS free demo here to determine if the software matches your workflows.
Toast POS won
our Expert's Choice Award for 2018
Why should you choose Toast POS?
- POS hardware for restaurants. Choose from a wide array of devices based on your restaurant needs. Select from a combination of bundles for 10-inch, 15-inch, and 22-inch terminals, built-in card reader, receipt printer, cash drawer, port switch, and Toast Go (pay-at-the-table functionality), among others.
- User-friendly interface. Customize your workflow and menu look with ease. You can also enable employee permissions by role or individual user, select a schedule when a specific menu is available, and route items to each prep station.
- Real-time sync. Using your tablet devices, updating the system is done in real time. This includes adding an item to the menu, marking an out-of-stock item, and modifying the layout of menu buttons.
- Self-service functionality. To expedite turning tables, your customers can use Toast tablets for ordering and paying at their table. They can even rate their customer experience and access their loyalty program profile directly from the platform.
Square is a POS software developed by Square, Inc. The company, based in San Francisco, California, offers financial services, mobile payment services, and merchant service aggregator. Its point-of-sale service aims to replace traditional cash registers and credit card terminals with a modern system.
The software takes care of processing payments (via cash, cards, and gift cards), swiping cards even without internet connection, providing digital and printed receipts, handling real-time inventory management, and creating sales reporting and analytics. It also offers hardware and software specifically for your business need. The best way to know whether it suits your needs is through testing the software. You can sign up for Square free trial here to use its features.
Why should you choose Square?
- Available in two operating systems. Get more flexibility in choosing your operating system as it’s available on both Android and Apple.
- Works with any business type and size. It’s built for SMBs and enterprises. While it specializes in retail, it also caters to other industries such as food and beverage, bakeries, coffee shops, restaurants, professional services, and health and fitness, among others.
- Pay per transaction. The Square software is available for free and you only pay everytime you make a credit card processing. You can also add Square for Retail for advanced tools starting from $60/month/location. Hardware such as a register, stand, and a reader is also available at reasonable cost.
Developed by the Toronto-based software company TouchBistro, Inc., TouchBistro is an iPad-based restaurant POS system for managing restaurant processes even without an internet connection. Its main features include order taking, quick service support, payment processing, and floor plan and table management.
Furthermore, it offers support for a full-service restaurant. That means it also handles CRM and restaurant inventory, staff scheduling and management, and reporting and analytics. You can sign up for TouchBistro free trial here to test drive its features.
our Best Restaurant Management Software Award for 2017
Why should you choose TouchBistro?
- Hybrid solution. It offers both cloud and local connection. The former enables you to access the system from any location while the latter eliminates the risk of the system crashing when your internet connection is out.
- Industry-specific solution. Since it’s built specifically for restaurants, it offers features such as take-out and delivery handling, bill splitting, and customizable menu modifiers.
- Flexible monthly plans. Plans are full-featured and you only pay based on the number of licenses you’ll use.
4. Poster POS
Poster POS is founded in 2013 by the US-based company of the same name. It’s a point-of-sale and inventory management tool developed for stores, restaurants, and cafes. The cloud-based solution lets you manage your business from anywhere in the world using its fully-functional back-office in the browser. It also offers a quick setup that only takes about 5 minutes without additional training required.
Why should you choose Poster POS?
- Compatible with any device. You can use the system on any device whether it’s iPad and Android tablets or Windows, Linux, and macOS desktops.
- Available offline. The system continues taking orders and printing receipts during a temporary loss of internet connection and then syncs it to the cloud when the connection is restored.
- Affordable pricing. Starting at $19/month, it offers one of the most affordable subscriptions for POS systems. As for the basic equipment setup, pricing starts at $500.
Vend company is founded in 2010 with headquarters in Auckland, New Zealand. It offers a POS solution for retail management in the cloud. Its product, Vend, runs all your customer transactions—from processing payments to updating your inventory. Hence, all laborious retail tasks are streamlined so users can focus their time and energy on running their business and taking care of their customers.
Why should you choose Vend?
- Hybrid solution. It is available online, in-store, and in mobile for an overall retail solution. It also continues to work even when offline and syncs data when the internet connection is restored.
- Partner integrations. Connect with popular retail tools with the open platform or develop custom extensions on its API. It has deep integrations with Apple, Shopify, Square, and Xero.
- Simple, advanced tools. The system works on iPad, Mac, and PC. It is also fast and intuitive for any type of user.
6. Miva Merchant
Miva, Inc. is an e-commerce shopping cart software that’s headquartered in San Diego, California. The company first released its catalog-based e-commerce product called KoolKat which was renamed and now known as Miva Merchant. The platform is loaded with built-in features for storefront, checkout, and admin processes. Due to its advanced features, it has a moderate learning curve and suits large business better.
Why should you choose Miva Merchant?
- eCommerce integrations. It integrates with plenty of e-commerce services such as Shipwire, MailChimp, and CloudFlare. The setup process with its partners is fast and easy.
- Consistent updates. The platform is regularly updated to resolve previous bugs and introduce new features.
- Customizable interface. The product is packed with features to let you customize the system according to your needs, including complex operations. It also has multiple design editors where you can save your own template.
Clover was launched in 2012 by Clover Network as a cloud-based Android point-of-sale platform. The company is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California. It’s acquired by First Data Corporation, a global leader in the credit card processing industry, which means it’s locked into the large processor. The software is praised for its ease of setup process and aesthetic appeal.
Why should you choose Clover?
- Robust app store and integrations. The App Marketplace is wide, hence, you can adapt it to any industry and use it to handle any business process you have.
- Various products. It has various products to choose from based on what you need—Clover Station (all-in-one POS solution), Clover Mini (for EMV chip and NFC payments), Clover Mobile (portable POS), Clover Flex (for countertops, in the aisle, or on-the-go) and Clover Go (smartphone-ready system).
- Short learning curve. Employees only need short training as the product has functionalities that are clearly labeled and self-explanatory. All of its hardware also works seamlessly which reduces guesswork in connecting them.
8. QuickBooks POS
QuickBooks POS is developed and marketed by Intuit Inc., a business and financial software company. Headquartered in Mountain View, California, the company was founded in 1983 where it built a financial service geared towards small business owners. QuickBooks accounting software is robust and integrating it with QuickBooks POS streamlines your point-of-sale and accounting processes.
Why should you choose QuickBooks POS?
- Plenty of integrations. The product integrates with plenty of third-party apps such as Shopify, PayPal, Square, Insightly and Constant Contact, among others.
- QuickBooks integration. Since QuickBooks is one of the most popular accounting software solutions, users who are using it can seamlessly integrate it with the POS system. This is a feature favored by medium and large-scale companies.
- Receipt customization. Completely customize your receipts like sales screens and item list. It also saves receipts when the internet connection is down.
9. Lightspeed Retail
Lightspeed is an e-commerce and point-of-sale software provider. Its headquarters are located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It has four main products: Lightspeed Retail POS, Lightspeed eCommerce, Lightspeed Restaurant POS and Lightspeed OnSite. With that, users can choose a cloud-based solution with features that are geared towards their specific business needs according to their industry. For this brief overview, we’ll focus on Lightspeed Retail.
Why should you choose Lightspeed Retail?
- Complete inventory management. The product shines in its inventory management system which makes it suitable for businesses that handle a heavy product inventory.
- Built for retail stores. Since this particular product is industry-specific, it offers solutions for businesses such as electronics, home decor, jewelry, pets, sports, and apparels, among others.
- Work order management. It has an efficient work order management for creating work or repair orders, tracking the repair progress, and printing the service labels and claim vouchers. They also added a feature where you can add photos to the work order.
FastSpring is a Santa Barbara-based SaaS company founded in 2005. Its eCommerce platform is focused on providing an enterprise-level solution for selling products and implementing shopping carts for your digital business. It processes subscriptions and purchases across various platforms ranging from web, mobile, and in-app.
Why should you choose FastSpring?
- Back-office management. It takes back-office operations away from your hands as the system handles online payments, payment processing, billing, VAT filing, and sales tax.
- Omnichannel solution. Customer experience is tailored both in-app through the app store and in your website via an online marketplace.
- Plenty of integrations. The product integrates with multiple solutions ranging from affiliate marketing, email marketing, paid search, reporting and analytics, conversion optimization, CRM, licensing and DRM, and site builders.
11. Salesforce Commerce Cloud
Salesforce Commerce Cloud is only one of the many CRM products offered by Salesforce.com, Inc. It’s a cloud computing company based in San Francisco, California where it was founded in 1999. The tech giant’s POS product is built to deliver a seamless and personalized shopping experience for your customers across various channels like social, digital, mobile and store. It brings a unified experience for mobile POS, digital commerce, and store operations.
Why should you choose Salesforce Commerce Cloud?
- Salesforce integration. It has a deep integration with one of the top CRM products which optimize your customer service, marketing, and POS management.
- Einstein’s AI capabilities. Personalization is robust with the product’s Einstein AI capabilities that enable personalized shopping experience, automation of tasks, and extraction of merchandising insights. This is achieved even without a data scientist.
- Various products. The product suite offers various solutions catered to your needs such as order management, in-store, and B2B e-commerce, among others.
12. Shopify POS
Shopify is a Canadian e-commerce company that made its name due to its robust e-commerce platform and retail POS systems. It was founded in 2004 and is headquartered in Ottawa, Ontario. It is known as one of the most popular and major players in the e-commerce industry. Similar to its parent software, Shopify POS is an intuitive platform built solely for retail businesses.
Why should you choose Shopify POS?
- Ease of use. Navigating the system is simple and you can easily walk yourself around its front- and back-end features. It’s appealing for organizations with limited time and knowledge for training.
- Plenty of compatible credit card processors. You get a wide array of choices when it comes to choosing a payment gateway. You can use its in-house merchant services processor. You also have the option of choosing another merchant for payment processing.
- Affordability. It can be used as an add-on to your Shopify account or as a standalone solution with economical pricing. The subscription plans are scalable and they are based on the features your business needs.
Erply is developed by the enterprise software company in Estonia in 2009. Its product is focused on point-of-sale and inventory management for the retail industry. The cloud-based iPad-oriented software handles multi-store operations. Overall, it’s an easy-to-use solution for one-store SMBs and large corporate-run retail chains.
Why should you choose Erply?
- Cloud POS with offline mode. Using best-in-breed technology, you can use the system with the benefits of cloud technology without fearing downtime of internet connection.
- Open API. It provides its own set of APIs for users to integrate with any program they need for their business. This allows centralized management for crucial business processes.
- Minimum hardware requirements. With the system’s compatibility with most hardware (iPads, tablets, desktops, laptops, and traditional touchscreen terminals, among others), you get to keep your existing hardware and avoid the costs of purchasing new ones.
Headquartered in New York, ShopKeep is a private company known for its cloud-based iPad POS system of the same name. It was founded in 2008. The system is intuitive, easy to use and effective in transferring your traditional cash registers processes into modern iPads. It’s also flexible to any business type such as retail, restaurant, quick-service, clothing, coffee shop, food truck, and bar.
Why should you choose ShopKeep?
- User-friendly interface. With its modern design, even non-tech savvy users can easily adapt to the system and learn from basic training. Its features are geared towards SMBs for both newcomers and long-time owners.
- Back-office functionality. The back-office features are robust with a total inventory that can handle up to 10,000 items, transaction records, reporting tools, and employee and customer management.
- SMB-friendly pricing. While pricing is only available upon request, it’s price range is suitable for SMBs especially when considering the package’s inclusions such as unlimited users and inventory items, support, and intuitive register.
Cegid Group is a software company founded in 1983. Its POS product, Cegid, is a cloud-based retail software built for fashion, luxury, beauty, and specialty retailers. With fashion as its specialty, it’s used by cosmetic shops and luxury apparels worldwide. Its “omnicommerce” solution is suitable for high-end retailers.
Why should you choose Cegid?
- Omnicommerce solution. Enables customers to shop virtually anywhere. It also streamlines store-to-store and store-to-supplier purchases as well as home delivery.
- Loyalty program. The product has attractive loyalty program features where your staff can easily review points and access purchase history of your customers. The system stores your customer’s points, discounts, and rewards for easy retrieval.
- Integrations and API. In addition to its full API, you can integrate the system with various apps for ERP, finance, e-commerce, marketing, and traffic counting, among others.
16. GoFrugal POS
GoFrugal POS is a product by GoFrugal Technologies. Founded in 2004, it’s among the leading point-of-sale software solution in India for retail and restaurant businesses. It has three solutions depending on your business needs—retail, restaurant, and distribution. Additionally, it helps with automating financial transactions and handling billing routines.
Why should you choose GoFrugal POS?
- Easy to use. The software is easy to use and recommended for first-time POS system users.
- Reasonable pricing. Pricing per register is available on a monthly or annual basis at affordable costs–$16/month/register or $130/year/register.
- Available in various channels. Quick-service restaurants will enjoy the software on Android, iPad, and web. This also allows scalability for multiple stores.
17. Bindo POS
Headquartered in New York, Bindo is a retail technology company with various products in the niche. Bindo POS was launched in 2013 as the company’s flagship product. It’s an iPad POS system with a feature-packed register, CRM and reward programs, inventory management, and online dashboard, among others. The system is built to empower businesses to compete with large online retailers.
Why should you choose Bindo POS?
- Retail and restaurants. While the company specializes in retail technology, its POS product is built to cater both the retail and restaurant industry. This means it’s suitable for various business types ranging from delis and coffee shops to pet stores and clothing shops.
- Ease of use. As with many modern iPad POS systems, it’s intuitive and easy to use. The buttons are clearly labeled and have a quick response to your finger’s touch.
- Matrix creation. It streamlines the creation of values and attributes to each product. For instance, you only have to input all possible variables and the system automatically calculates each possible combination of color and size for a single item.
Skubana is built by the New York-based company of the same name as a cloud solution developed by sellers for sellers. It’s a robust system that combines order management, inventory management, and business intelligence. Some of its main features include order fulfillment, purchase orders, and barcoding, among others.
Why should you choose Skubana?
- Intuitive order processing. Built for e-commerce, it streamlines order processing which is useful for large enterprises that need to route orders to multiple warehouses and do bulk-breaking.
- High-volume orders. Merchants with high-volume transactions and multi-channel processes are suited for this solution.
- Automation. It’s one of its most notable features as it automates time-consuming and repetitive tasks such as doing inventory and computing sales and profitability.
Veeqo is a software company based in Swansea, Wales with a multi-channel e-commerce management and point-of-sale system. Founded in 2013, the company developed a product for online retailers to run their business. The single platform handles multichannel orders, inventory levels, bulk order shipping, and sales reports.
Why should you choose Veeqo?
- Designed to scale. The system is designed for large online retailers. Still, it scales with you as your business grows and your needs become more complex.
- Robust integrations. It connects with popular e-commerce platforms, shipping partners and marketplaces like Xero, eBay, QuickBooks, and UPS, among others.
- Inventory control. Inventories are synced seamlessly to ensure you don’t oversell and update your stocks instantly.
20. MAXIMUS AASAAN
Lastly, on this list of POS software companies, MAXIMUS AASAAN is a last-mile connectivity solution designed specifically for banks and similar financial organizations. It offers a scalable merchant account ecosystem, a robust administration panel, and eGovernment payment support. The software is also equipped with a mobile-ready interface that lets you manage your POS responsibilities within the office or in the field. Furthermore, MAXIMUS AASAAN is capable of integrating with a wide variety of third-party applications and business systems to streamline your operations.
Why should you choose MAXIMUS AASAAN?
- Accessibility and Security. It doesn’t require proprietary hardware and works on any device—desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones. In case you’re worried about security, the software comes with two-factor authentication tools to ensure that your data is being accessed only by authorized personnel.
- Easy Navigation. MAXIMUS AASAAN was built with usability in mind. It offers a drag-and-drop navigation tool and a configurable interface that makes it easy for both novice and professional users to utilize.
- Robust Feature Set. This software goes beyond basic POS functionalities by offering users real-time processing, bill and eGovernment payment support, and a merchant account ecosystem that can automate payment collection.