Toast POS: No. 1 In POS Software
Our score: 9.5
User satisfaction: 98%
What is the best POS software for small business?
The best POS software for small business is Toast POS, which carries numerous features designed to handle US-based restaurants’ booking, online ordering, and stocks management. It allows businesses to boost service quality while offering data reporting and order tracking capabilities.
Regardless if you’re operating a small shop or a restaurant, you would want automation to be on your side when managing sales transactions. And this is what point-of-sale (POS) software is all about.
POS software works great with small businesses, most notably, with restaurants. For food establishments, fast and efficient service is paramount. Failure to quickly take and serve orders could result in lost business and bad reviews.
To give you a better understanding of these systems, we will present to you the 15 best POS software currently in the market. Their features, functionalities, and unique selling propositions will be discussed in detail.
Unlike clunky cash registers, POS tools can also help you with time-keeping as they come with calendars that display shifts and even record employee clock-ins and outs. They speed up payment among other processes, including bill splitting if you’re operating a restaurant. They pretty much handle every process relevant to sales and service. Nowadays, they can also track inventory, report on performance, and generate forecasts, to name a few. These and more features make POS solutions virtual business advisors.
Source: BRP POS Customer Engagement Survey (2019) Designed by
With the right POS software, you can provide your customers with more personalized services and allow them to have better and faster transactions with you. Essentially, the benefits of POS software can be a game-changer for your business. You can realize significant returns, improve savings, enhance productivity, and get detailed information on sales conditions and performance.
Meanwhile, if you’re looking for restaurant-specific POS software, you can check out our list of top 20 POS software for restaurants here.
1. Toast POS
Toast POS is a POS solution distinctly designed for restaurants in the United States. It helps users to keep their accounts updated easily and conveniently by offering helpful features and options that they can also use to enhance customer satisfaction.
You can use this single software to manage restaurant bookings, stocks, and online ordering. The big advantage is you can use Toast POS to enhance your business by saving time and improving your organizational capability. You can provide quality services and also cross-check them through order tracking and data reports. You can see all the key features of this software in action in the vendor’s free demo.
Try out Toast POS with their free demo
Toast comes with additional features that will make your sales process even easier and more accurate. With the system, online ordering is now possible, a surefire way of driving your costs down while increasing your revenue. It also allows customers to make payments through kiosks, enabling diners to avoid long queues and choose their preferred method of payment. Kitchens are also given ample time to prepare orders as kiosks can be set to place orders before payments are made. Toast’s integration with OpenTable, meanwhile, lets you reduce customer waiting times and provide guests with seats on time. You can likewise update tables between the two apps, resulting in streamlined service.
What is unique about Toast POS?
- Full restaurant management. Streamlines front-of-house and kitchen processes aside from providing sales, menu, and customer reports.
- Subscription-based pricing. Flexible pricing options allow the addition of modules as your business grows. You can also avail of the bundled hardware with a one-time purchase.
- Tablet-based. Allows multi-tasking mobility, such as taking orders, marking stock-outs and adding or removing menu items, and the like.
- Customer-friendly. Through the tablet’s interface, customers can pay bills, sign receipts, and even offer tips for convenient cashless and paperless transactions.
Detailed Toast POS Review
Vend is among the top iPad POS platforms in the market today. A perfect POS solution for retail businesses, it is widely used in handling customer, sales, and inventory management tasks. Flexible and reasonably priced, this app can be personalized to suit your preferences. It offers data entry options using either keyboard and mouse or touchscreen, as well as customizing your POS screen to allow access to your most used items or features.
Vend has acquired new features with its integration with ecommerce tool WooCommerce, offering online sellers numerous benefits. The tool now provides users both in-store and online sales that are tailored to their individual needs. It suits inventory-based retailers, customizing the way they conduct ecommerce. With the software, you get to manage your sales centrally with the platform syncing customers, sales, inventory, and products between the apps. It also accommodates Instagram and Facebook users, making them potential paying customers.
What is unique about Vend?
- Compatible across devices. This platform can be used online, with PC or iOS. You can synchronize your data using any of these operating systems in the cloud.
- Scalable and configurable. Vend works with numerous business applications, and you can integrate new functionalities as your business requirements expand.
- Works offline. Even if you go offline, this platform will instantly synchronize all your transactions once your connection is restored.
- Integrated online store. Easily and quickly set up a completely customizable online shop on your own without any training necessary. With a single click, you can put your products online.
- Multi-task management. Users can utilize numerous features for managing customer information, dashboards and reports, promotions and pricing, main product catalog, orders, inventory, and cash.
TouchBistro is created with the foodservice business in mind, which is why it’s among the most widely-used POS platforms by coffee shops, bars, fine dining, delis, restaurants, food trucks, and other similar shops. Cloud-hosted and runs on iOS, this platform is designed to help food businesses provide fast and efficient service. Created with the guidance of restaurant experts, TouchBistro is more than your average POS as it can help you manage various segments of your restaurant simultaneously, design an efficient floor layout, take orders per table, and quickly transfer events from one function room to another.
Improvements to the system are constantly being made. The layout of its Order screen has been changed to better manage orders such as bar tabs, takeouts, and delivery, which can be a pain during peak hours. A quick search functionality has also been added to the system. A bill preview window can now be accessed so that you can see what products have been ordered and information about customers. Bill totals and customer info can likewise be used in searching for orders in its search field. TouchBistro offers a great free trial for 28 days (seven days without registration plus 21 days if registered), so you can readily know if this solution is the POS you’re looking for.
Try out TouchBistro with their free trial
What is unique about TouchBistro?
- A POS designed for restos. What sets TouchBistro apart is the fact that it is created primarily to be used by fast foods and restaurants. What’s more, it is very flexible and scalable that it can provide the same level of efficiency and timeliness to the small coffee shop, a medium-sized cafe, and even to giant restaurant chains. Since it is user-friendly and reasonably-priced, SMB food establishments will likely choose this POS, while large food chains can take advantage of its add-on features and other advanced integration options.
- Zero in on enhancing customer experience. With this smart solution, gone are the days of the delay- and error-prone method of transferring paper-based orders to your POS. TouchBistro allows you to enter any order straight into your iPad, which is then sent wirelessly to the kitchen.
- Boosts staff efficiency. TouchBistro virtually empowers your team to perform all their tasks more efficiently due to its ease of use and comprehensive features. With just a few taps on the POS screen, your staff can complete many chores quickly, including taking and personalizing orders and managing tables.
- Mobile menu management. Restaurant owners and managers can always check on their business anytime, even while on the go, thanks to TouchBistro’s dependable connection and cloud-based menu management and reporting functionality.
- Very stable system. You will not be subjected to any downtime due to Internet service outage because this POS operates using a local connection, thereby ensuring the non-stop operation of your business.
Detailed TouchBistro Review
Upserve is an all-in-one restaurant management solution that combines payment processing, point of sale, inventory management, and reservation systems. It has a flexible POS system that adapts well to the unique needs of restaurants and customer demands, covering guest counts, menu inventory, and food and bar sales. In one intuitive and user-friendly interface, Upserve keeps track of all your operations, from the back of the kitchen right up to the front desk for customer requests.
The software also allows your servers to search menu items and take orders as fast as possible. By combining the data from your POS and payment processing systems, you gain insights into your best-selling products and which items to push back. Plus, Upserve has an offline mode that lets you serve customers, accept credit card payments, and print receipts even when you lose your Internet connection. Should you want to investigate the platform firsthand, you can easily leverage the Upserve free demo.
Try out Upserve with their free trial
Moreover, Upserve equips your growing restaurant with a full suite of reliable hardware, like its purpose-built tableside, standalone EMV readers, and POS terminals. Also, it can easily be integrated with other industry-standard hardware, including EPSON printers for receipt printing, kitchen display systems, and Meraki Networking routers and extenders.
What is unique about Upserve?
- Training mode for new hires. In the training mode, your new staff can practice using the system without disrupting your daily operations.
- Straightforward visuals for analytics and reports. Upserve’s analytics and reporting tools give you a clear view of trends, sales performance, labor costs, scheduling, and employee productivity.
- Split checks and items. In just a few clicks, your servers can easily split between card and cash payments. The system accurately does the math for you so that you can rely on error-free computations.
5. Revel Systems POS
Revel Systems POS helps small businesses improve their daily operations by integrating inventory management, employee management, and sales reporting into a single, intuitive POS platform. It is an iPad-based solution perfect for restaurants, bars, and retail stores. It uses a powerful POS technology that allows you to track your inventory in real-time and offer your customers a more flexible payment processing.
The system helps you deliver an end-to-end customer experience. With it, you can easily split bills, hold bar tabs, and accept various payment types. Plus, Revel Systems has an intelligent reporting tool that lets you keep track of your inventory levels and identify your best-selling items. You can also draw insights from its accurate analytics and see how your products and operations affect your bottom line. The vendor offers a free trial to help learn more about Revel Systems POS features at no cost.
Revel Systems POS
Try out Revel Systems POS with their free trial
What is unique about Revel Systems POS?
- Multi-location management. Revel Systems gives you total freedom on your menu options from single or multiple locations and lets you track inventory levels in real-time.
- Gain data-driven insights. The software provides analytics and reports on your sales performance. It also has its own Insights application, allowing you to keep an eye on your business even on the go.
- Error-free operations. Mobile order takers and kitchen display screens allow your staff seamless communication, preventing mistakes in your order completion.
- Effective employee management. Revel Systems has built-in timecards that let you track your employees’ hours accurately.
Detailed Revel Systems POS Review
POS platform Sapaad is a powerful solution that is popular among restaurant owners. This easy-to-use software has become the go-to tool for restaurant owners in Dubai, owing to its numerous features and regular updates. It is a cloud-deployed system that is flexible enough to cater to not only large establishments but small cafes as well. What’s good about the app is its ability to better organize kitchens, which results in better sales and client loyalty.
Restaurants that take online, walk-in, dine-in, delivery, and take-away orders can greatly benefit from using the product. This intuitive solution is both easy to set up and use as everything is done automatically. What’s even better is that Sapaad does not require servers or costly IT teams to maintain, allowing your business to grow. Its flexible pricing makes it ideal for small businesses, along with the fact that it does not come with setup costs, hidden fees, or expensive licenses. You can leverage Sapaad free trial to learn more about the product’s capabilities.
Try out Sapaad with their free trial
What is unique about Sapaad?
- It has an offline mode. You don’t have to worry if you get disconnected from the Internet. The software makes sure your operation does not get disrupted in the absence of connectivity.
- It has a call center module. The software makes phone ordering simple while tracking deliveries. It also maintains a comprehensive database of customers, which includes data like order history, customer addresses, and preferences.
- Inventory and back-office management. Powerful inventory management features allow you to minimize food costs, receive inventory, and send purchase orders. Stock cost and movement can likewise be tracked in real-time.
CAKE is an intuitive, cost-friendly solution that accelerates order processing with its easy-to-use POS system. It streamlines workflows and helps you build on-the-fly menu and table adjustments. Built to handle simple and complex operations, CAKE provides a flexible order management feature in one simple, intuitive dashboard.
Using advanced technology called Projective Capacitive Touch, CAKE’s hardware allows you to have a seamless touchscreen experience, no matter if you’re using a stylus, have flour-covered hands, or wearing food prep gloves. It has a customer-facing display, so your customers can easily review order details, enroll in loyalty programs, and sign up for e-receipts. You can take advantage of the CAKE free trial and get to know the features firsthand at no cost and without commitment.
Try out CAKE with their free trial
What is unique about CAKE?
- Master the system in minutes. CAKE has a simple and easy-to-use interface so that you can adapt to the system faster. For instance, you can quickly send menu items to multiple prep stations in a breeze or requiring approvals for comps.
- Best-in-class integrations. You can connect the POS system with most-used business applications and payment systems, like Paypal, Xero, and Quickbooks.
- Effectively manage employees. By using CAKE’s employee management and basic timecards, you can clock in employees, track their breaks, and monitor overtime.
Cova is an agile, user-friendly cannabis dispensary POS system that brings customers seamless and speedy cannabis retail shopping experience. It has a built-in queue capability that handles long lines without the need to take numbers; all your customers need to do is sit back until the next sales agent is available. This helps you provide VIP treatment to your customers and allows your team to showcase your inventory while building customer trust.
Moreover, Cova has strong compliance features that ensure your business stays compliant with the law. It has an age verification scanner and purchases limit alert that prevents operational missteps leading to a hefty fine or loss of license. Plus, Cova is seed-to-sale compliant, integrating with statewide traceability systems like BioTrackTHC, Leaf Data Systems, and Metrc. You can use all the features for free for a period of time to see if the software matches your needs.
Try out Cova with their free trial
What is unique about Cova?
- Built for cannabis dispensaries. Cova is the perfect POS system for cannabis retailers. It has powerful compliance tools, express checkout kiosks, and cannabis touchscreen menu.
- Keep customer records. You can easily add customer information and locate repeat shoppers in your database. This way, you can create loyalty programs and retain your customer base for a long time.
- Easy onboarding. In three simple steps, you can quickly master the system and start taking orders as soon as possible. Cova leads you through the process with an initial onboarding call, weekly webinars, and in-person training.
- Fast, intuitive inventory reports. Cova has a powerful reporting feature that provides detailed insights, including unusual cannabis sales or inventory patterns.
9. Cybersys POS
A full-featured POS solution, Cybersys POS is designed to cater to SMBs of any type, from restaurants and jewelry stores to coffee shops and sporting goods shops. It is a flexible tool that can be customized to meet your company’s requirements. The system is accompanied by powerful hardware, including credit card readers, receipt printers, barcode scanners, cash drawers, and label printers, to name a few. The software has become a staple for many small businesses requiring a fully functional POS that does not break the bank.
Cybersys POS can boost corporate communication, both internal and external. This results in faster delivery of your products/services. Goals and targets can be analyzed and set using system-generated reports as a basis. You can come up with two types of loyalty programs to encourage repeat customers. Inventories can also be managed using the system, which automatically sends inventory alerts so that you get updated on the status of your inventory. The platform supports any currency, while shipments can be tracked and recorded with each transaction. You can make the most of Cybersys POS demo to learn more about the product’s features.
Detailed Cybersys POS Review
What is unique about Cybersys POS?
- Inexpensive yet powerful POS tool. Despite Cybersys POS’s low pricing, it comes with all the features of your standard POS systems like ecommerce integration, reporting, inventory management, and employee access management. All these are available at affordable packages, resulting in huge savings.
- Custom pricing plans. The vendor can create custom pricing models for individual users, who can choose all the features that they need from such a system. This ability to scale the product means that businesses get to pay only for the features that they need.
- It’s a flexible system. The tool, being mobile-optimized, can be accessed from any device. This means that it can be used whenever and wherever it is needed.
If you’re searching for a universal POS platform to address your business needs, then Square is an excellent choice. This user-friendly tool is free and enables businesses to accept and process payments both in-store and even on-the-go, for both iOS or Android gadgets. Aside from an integrated magstripe reader for debit and credit card payment processing, Square also offers other functionalities such as inventory and sales tracking in real-time as well as item management.
Aside from those mentioned, Square is also capable of splitting single bill items into multiple tickets. To help you cut down staff error and accelerate checkout by limiting staff view of tickets and tips to only those assigned to them. Ticket ownership is transferable, allowing for correct reporting of tips and sales. Authorization slips are no longer required to be reprinted for customers to add tips and sign. This promotes a paperless environment, which reduces your establishment’s carbon footprint. Square offers an excellent free trial for 30 days, so you can readily know if this solution is the POS you’re looking for.
What is unique about Square
- Square is free. You can download it at no cost from GooglePlay and App Store, install in either Android or iOS devices, and use it in-store or on-the-go.
- With a Square magstripe reader. This tool enables the app to receive and handle payments using credit or debit cards, straight from your mobile gadget.
- It offers added functionalities. Square also works as an item management app as well as a real-time inventory and sales tracker.
- It has analytics and reporting. It provides valuable business insights from its smart analytics and intelligence reports, which help businesses arrive at sound business decisions.
- It is updated regularly. The team behind Square works to constantly come up with new updates that are automatically applied to the platform. This means continued efficiency for your business.
11. Oracle Food and Beverage
POS platform Oracle Food and Beverage caters to all types and sizes of restaurants, sports and entertainment businesses, and hotels. This tool comes with a robust feature set that is meant to increase productivity, boost service, and enhance efficiency. With the system, all relevant users, customers included, get to enjoy richer experiences, which is accomplished using technologies, such as mobile optimization and analytics. Prominent features include omnichannel delivery, integrated POS, cost control, kiosks, and yes, even kitchen management. Using the solution is quite easy and does not require a steep learning curve. It centralizes the management of your establishment while being able to easily work with any opportunity or concept.
Detailed Oracle Food and Beverage Review
What’s Unique About Oracle Food and Beverage?
- It’s a fully integrated POS. As it is a fully-integrated POS platform, Oracle Food and Beverage can accelerate transactions, making sure that they are all accurately conducted. It is also able to provide a richer user experience while reducing costs by providing reporting and back-office functionalities.
- Improves kitchen operations. The solution comes with a Kitchen system that effectively simplifies your kitchen processes. It boosts kitchen service and food quality while decreasing room for errors.
- Reporting and analytics. Oracle Food and Beverage is not your average POS. It comes with powerful analytics and reporting tools that keep tabs on your restaurant’s performance. This provides clear visibility into your operations, which lets you make sound decisions.
12. Miva Merchant
An ecommerce platform designed for modern companies, Miva Merchant, is a feature-rich system that gives you great value for your money. It is a popular tool among large organizations across the US, most of which are online sellers. However, it also suits small sellers, providing them with great maintenance service and support. The system can be customized to suit your needs and is ideal for businesses that do selling for a living. It sets up and runs your online store for you so that you need not worry about the nitty-gritty of ecommerce.
Detailed Miva Merchant Review
What’s Unique About Miva Merchant?
- All-in-one ecommerce platform. Miva Merchant’s popularity among online sellers speaks for itself. It effectively aids in the development of your ecommerce business and provides the needed support and maintenance associated with running one. It is also a scalable system that suits any size of business.
- Highly-customizable tool. The solution does not distinguish between business types. You can be selling furniture, books, or even running a pharmacy, and the system will still work for you. It likewise makes product searching easier for your customers as the app comes with extensive search features and libraries.
- SEO optimization. Miva Merchant can improve your Google search ranking. Its indexing and SEO tools make sure that your business is ahead of the competition. You can easily create URLs for use in linking webpages to your site.
Integrated POS solution Clover is designed to cater to small and medium-sized restaurants, helping them manage their inventories, staff, and edit menus. The system comes with customized hardware and can be deployed on-premise or accessed through a browser. It is a user-friendly solution that sports a sleek and full-featured interface, which can be accessed from any device. It also generates reports that offer companies valuable insights that can be used in coming up with sound decisions.
Clover is capable of processing both debit and credit card payments and those made through Apple Pay. It is known for its ease-of-use while making an easy task of inventory management using its numerous tools. You can track product performance thanks to the system’s ability to edit product info. It lets you identify high-selling items by keeping a record of credit, payment, and promotion data. The app also makes use of technologies that make order printing, promotion and loyalty program creation, and menu editing all possible from a single console.
What is unique about Clover?
- It gets rid of the need for additional hardware. Clover is equipped with technologies that allow you to process credit and debit card payments. This is because the system eliminates the need for equipment like cash registers, terminals, label and receipt printers, and barcode scanners.
- It lets you manage employees. The solution makes it easy to monitor employees, manage shifts, and tips while giving relevant people access to the system.
- It is a total POS platform. The software allows users to edit product information, manage inventory, print orders, and create loyalty programs–all from a single solution.
Lavu is a popular POS software that is designed specifically for bars and restaurants, helping them address complications arising from order confusion, slow service, and unclear sales data. Using the system, restaurateurs can take control of their operations with employees adhering to topnotch service standards. These are made possible by the app’s simple but powerful interface, a central information hub, and process streamlining capability.
More features accompany the platform, which not only improve sales but also boost restaurant processes like menu layout customization, staff training, and order taking. HR functions are likewise supported, including staff onboarding and training. Technology plays a big part in the software’s benefits as it makes use of top-of-the-line hardware and tech such as self-service kiosks and digital menu boards.
What is unique about Lavu?
- It helps manage labor and inventory. You can significantly reduce your overhead by enriching your understanding of labor and inventory. Streamlining processes associated with ordering and payment can save on costs and even increase revenue.
- It enriches the customer experience. Because the platform can speed up your processes and cut waiting times, customers get to have a richer experience and, therefore, improved satisfaction, which results in repeat business.
- It makes payment processing easier. Lavu can accept and process payments made through channels like contactless payment methods, magnetic stripe cards, and chip cards, making the payment process a breeze not only for users but for customers as well.
15. Salesforce Commerce Cloud
Salesforce Commerce Cloud provides a host of helpful POS capabilities such as digital commerce, mobile-first POS and store operations, predictive analytics, and order management. Online sellers can use this platform to rationalize their businesses for enhanced efficiencies.
Salesforce Commerce Cloud’s Einstein Predictive Sort feature lets you use customer info to cut customer product search time, resulting in more conversions. Fulfillment costs are also reduced, and delivery times are accelerated with the tool’s Commerce Cloud Order Management functionality. It serves as a central data hub, helping agents handle updates, exchanges, and returns, regardless of where an order was originally placed. Finally, the system comes with mobile APIs that enable you to further enrich customer experience.
Detailed Salesforce Commerce Cloud Review
What is unique about Salesforce Commerce Cloud?
- Nonstop innovation. The app is regularly upgraded–around eight times annually, resulting in enhancements and new functionalities for you, without causing any disruption to your daily activities.
- Shared revenue approach. Shared success is the business model used by this app, where the vendor is completely engaged to help you develop and achieve success.
- Dynamic community. Businesses can collaborate and benefit from the vast and dynamic online community of Salesforce users who actively share their experiences, success stories, and valuable insights.
- Robust platform. This solution is a comprehensive platform that integrates robust capabilities for end-to-end business activities, resulting in accelerated time-to-value creation.
Where Is POS Software Headed?
POS software has indeed benefited small businesses, from brick-and-mortar stores to online sellers, revolutionizing the way these companies manage their sales transactions. By giving users the gift of automation, these platforms have gotten rid of the need to spend hours on redundant sales processes, allowing users to focus on more important matters. POS systems have also been taking over processes that have traditionally been the turf of third-party applications. But most importantly, POS software has been helping customers by accelerating the sales process and contributing to customer experience, whose benefits go both ways. In this regard, Toast continues to lead the pack with its robust features and unparalleled benefits. You can find out more about its features if you sign up for Toast free demo.
With all these benefits now at your fingertips, one can’t help but wonder what’s in store for these systems in the near future. For restaurants, POS software is seen to continue to harness the power of the cloud as doing so makes them accessible anytime, anywhere. It is also seen as the preferred deployment method of many businesses owing to the low price tags that come with cloud-based tools. And then there is the projected increase in the use of self-service kiosks, not only by restaurants but among retailers as well. These benefits and more make these products very appealing to SMBs, helping them on their path to profitability and growth. So it’s no wonder that these tools continue to gain traction in this niche market.
You may also want to check out our guide to restaurant management system to find out more about its features and benefits.