People collectively spent an astonishing total of over 1.2 billion years using the internet for the whole of 2019. And much of that time was used by people for social media. It’s high time for businesses to do the same. This also means closely monitoring social media statistics.
With more and more people expected to join the global social media space, it has become inevitable for every business to have an effective online presence on some of the top social platforms, which you can optimize by using one of the top social media management solutions in the market today. So to help you stay ahead of the game, we’ve gathered these social media statistics for you to consider and use to your advantage.
1. Social Media Market Growth Statistics
Social media has changed how people live their lives today. From how we receive news to how we relate with other people, almost everything has been changed and are done through social media. Here are some current social media market size and other related social media data that matter:
- As of January 2019, there are 3.4 billion active social media users worldwide, or a 45% penetration of the entire human population. (We Are Social)
- 94% of all social media users or 3.2 billion access social networks via mobile. (We Are Social)
- The average internet user has accounts on 8 different social and messaging services in 2019. (GlobalWebIndex)
- Social media ad spending is estimated to grow from US$ 98.2bn in 2019 to US$ 187.6bn in 2023, with a CAGR of 17.6%. (Statista)
- With over 2.32 billion active monthly users, Facebook continues to be the most widely used social media platform. (Pewinternet)
- YouTube, with 1.9 billion users worldwide, is the second-largest social network. (Statista)
- From YouTube’s 9 billion active monthly users, there are over 30 million people who use it every day. (OmniCoreAgency)
- The second top search engine in the world is YouTube. (BrandWatch)
- Pinterest has over 250 million people every month. (Pinterest)
Ranked according to the total number of active users (in millions)
Source: Statista Designed by
Today’s social media market share continues to be dominated by Facebook, based on global reach and total active users. So along with the other top social media sites, it’s important to know how you can use your social media marketing to enhance your leads conversion, how your content may potentially perform and how you can optimize your organic and paid reach.
2. Demographics of Social Media Users Statistics
The best way to create an effective social marketing strategy is by knowing the demographic makeup of your social media audience. Check out these important Instagram data to help you better fine-tune your marketing campaigns.
General Social Media Demographics
- By generation, the active social media users are mainly composed of 90.4% Millennials, 77.5% Gen X, and 48.2% Baby Boomers. (eMarketer)
- Percentage per age group of social media users: 18-29 years 88%, 30-49 years 78%, 50-65 years 65%, and 65+ years 37%. (Pew)
- People spend an average of 2 hours and 22 minutes a day on messaging and social media networks. (GlobalWebIndex)
- The male-female ratio of Facebook users is almost the same. (Statista)
- 63% of people worldwide will use Facebook on an average of 5 times a day or 15 days a month. (Forrester)
- 80% of 18-49 year-olds worldwide watch YouTube several times a month. (BrandWatch)
- Around 55% of YouTube watchers are men. (HootSuite)
- Facebook usage among teens is dropping gradually. From 71% of teenage Facebook users in 2015, their number has gone down to 51%. (PewInternet)
- From 52% in 2015, there are now 72% of teens using Instagram. (CommonSenseMedia)
- For 2018, teenagers prefer to use Snapchat (41%). Fewer youngsters use Instagram (22%) or Facebook (15%). (SmartSocial)
- Among all Snapchat users worldwide, 60% are aged below 25. (HootSuite)
- 45% of people who earn over 75k annually are LinkedIn users. (PewInternet)
- 64% of all social referrals to corporate websites are generated by LinkedIn. (eConsultancy)
- 80% of people who use Twitter are rich Millennials. (Twitter)
Users in the U.S.
- Among American adults, 73% use YouTube, 68% use Facebook, 35% use Instagram, 29% use Pinterest, 27% use Snapchat, 25% use LinkedIn, 24% use Twitter. (Business2Community)
- Around two-thirds of American adults are now using Facebook. (Pewinternet).
- Among Americans aged 18-24, 78% are Snapchat users. (PewInternet)
- The number of US adults who reported that they are using Facebook are exactly the same for 2016 and 2018. (PewInternet)
- Among American teens who go online, 96% of them are YouTube users. (Business2Community)
Understanding these social media statistics will help marketers better use each type of social network in their campaigns, thereby increasing their leads conversion and expanding their market reach. To help you conduct more efficient market segmentation and other related marketing strategies, it is highly recommended that you use one of today’s most effective marketing automation platforms. This will help you ensure that you make the most of your targetted social media campaigns.
3. Business Use of Social Media Statistics
Social media is developing and expanding nonstop. These social media statistics will show the extensive impact of these communications and marketing platforms on businesses of any type or size:
General Business Use
- Businesses say that the top benefits they derive from social media marketing are increased exposure (93%), more traffic (87%), generated leads (74%), and enhanced sales (72%). (Social Media Examiner)
- 73% of marketers think that their social media marketing is essentially effective. (Buffer)
- 91% of retail brands use a minimum of two social platforms. (AdWeek)
- 81% of SMBs worldwide use some form of a social media network. (Mashable)
- 62% of small business consider social media as a key element of their effective marketing strategy. (VisualObjects)
- 55% of customers who learned about a product on social media usually proceed to buy the product. (Mary Meeker)
- 24% of internet users use social media for their jobs. (We Are Social)
- 54% of businesses say that all their operational units now use social media. (HootSuite)
- 54% of people use social media to learn about products. (GlobalWebIndex)
Specific Social Media Platforms
- 97% of social advertisers consider Facebook as the most effective social media platform that they use. (SproutSocial)
- 48% of small businesses use Instagram and YouTube. (VisualObjects)
- Brands see a 0.09% median engagement rate for every Facebook post. (RivalIQ)
- For January 2019, 3.75% is the average engagement rate for Facebook page posts. (We Are Social)
- In the U.S., the number of local business pages on Facebook has surpassed the 65 million mark. (GeoMarketing)
- 78% of American Facebook users have discovered something to buy via this social network. (KleinerPerkins)
- 41% of small businesses use Twitter, 33% use LinkedIn, 21% use Pinterest, and 18% use Snapchat. (VisualObjects)
- For 2019, almost all B2C marketers are focusing their campaigns on Facebook, followed by Instagram, and Twitter. (SocialMediaExaminer)
- 83% of marketers pay for ads on Facebook, making it remain as the most effective ad channel. (KleinerPerkins)
- Instagram ad spending is 23% bigger versus Facebook. (Merkle)
- Viewers who watch complete ads on YouTube’s TrueView were 23 times more likely to buy the product. (ThinkWithGoogle)
- 70% of people look up about brands on Instagram and 60% find out about new products on it. (IconoSquare)
Source: Social Media Examiner Designed by
This compilation of social media statistics impact on business is compelling. Gone are the days where a marketer needs to make a sales pitch every time he/she needs to convince people to buy his/her products. You must be prepared to convert any social media lead to a sale. An efficient way to optimize the massive amount of data that social media report provides is by integrating them with the benefits of business intelligence solutions.
4. Country-related Social Media Statistics
Social media has changed the entire world. It’s unavoidable, it’s powerful, and it’s here to stay. It is present 24/7 in almost all parts of the world.
- Seven out of every 10 Americans use social media to connect with people. (Pew Research Center)
- For years, U.S. users have made up the most number of Facebook accounts, but by 2018, Indian users became number one with 294 million users, while the U.S.’s 204 million users are now number two. (Statista)
- In the UK, the top most used social media networks are Facebook, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, and Instagram. (Flint)
- From 2016 to 2018, the Philippines has the highest social media usage rate in the world. (We Are Social)
- As of January 2019, the highest active social network penetrations among countries worldwide are in UAE (99%), Taiwan (89%), South Korea (85%), Singapore (79%), and Hong Kong (78%). (Statista)
- Places with the fastest growing social media use are Saudi Arabia (32%), India (31%), Indonesia (23%), Ghana (22%), South Africa (20%), and Vietnam (20). (We Are Social)
- The most number of active mobile social mobile penetrations worldwide are in Taiwan (89%), South Korea (85%), Malvides (78%), Malaysia (74%), and Singapore (72%). (Statista)
Per Continent/Region Statistics
- North America and Eastern Asia have the highest social media penetration by region at 70%. (We Are Social)
- In Europe, many people tend to get their news from social networks. Half of the Italy’s populations, for example, use social media for their daily news. (Journalism)
- Active social media users per continent: Africa 216 million (17% penetration), the Americas 673.1 million (66%), Asia-Pacific 1.9 billion (47%), Europe 462.5 million (55%), and the Middle East 136.1 million (53%). (We Are Social)
- In advanced societies like Europe, there are more female social media users versus male. In Sweden, for example, 72% of women use social media compared to 63% of men, while in Spain 63% of women use social media compared to 54% of men. (PewGlobal)
As more people use social media every day, the more it is logical for businesses to connect with their customers using social sites.
5. Content & Posting in Social Media Statistics
Social media allows brands to access cost-effective marketing, interact with their audience, and build brand loyalty.
By Content Statistics
- 71% of consumers who have had a positive experience with a brand on social media are likely to recommend the brand to their friends and family. (Lyfemarketing)
- 48% of people say responsiveness motivates them to buy from a brand. Others prefer promotional offers (46%) and educational content (42%). (Sprout Social)
- 49% of consumers worldwide say that they rely on influencer recommendations on social networks regarding their buying decisions. (Fourcommunications)
- An Instagram video creates create 21.2% more interactions versus images. (Quintly)
- Stories—the vertical, disappearing Snapchat-invented videos—are now growing 15 times faster compared to feed-based sharing. (Block Party)
- 71% of consumers with a positive social media experience with a brand are likely to make positive recommendations to others. (Ambassador)
By Posting Statistics
- Nearly a billion users across WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook, and Snapchat are already sharing their Stories to their friends over the social networks. (TechCrunch)
- Over 100 million photos and videos are uploaded on Instagram every day. (OmniCoreAgency)
- The number of daily active Instagram Stories users have increased from 150 million daily in January 2017 to 500 million in January 2019. (Statista)
- 91% of all people who use social media do it via mobile devices. (Lyfemarketing)
- On average, the best time to post on Facebook is from 12 pm to 4 pm, while the best days to post are during Thursdays and Fridays. (Falcon)
- On average, people spend 2 hours and 16 minutes per day using social media. (We Are Social)
- Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp handle a combined total of 60 billion messages every day. (TheGuardian)
- Visual content is shared 40x more versus other content types. (HubSpot)
Providing Educational Content%
Sharing Interesting Visuals%
Offering Exclusive Content%
Providing Behind-the-scenes Content%
Trash Talking Competing Brands%
Source: Sprout Social Designed by
As social media becomes more integrated into our daily lives, it opens an extensive array of opportunities for businesses that are seeking to connect and interact more to their audience through social media marketing. One such opportunity is using these social platforms to optimize the efficiency of sales tools that they’re already using or are planning to deploy in your business.
Planning your social media business strategy by leveraging these statistics
Social networks now have a decidedly strong social, economic, and cultural impact. Results of our social media research clearly indicate that businesses can remain relevant, succeed, and gain competitiveness in this digital marketplace by taking advantage of the benefits of social media. Here are some of the key takeaways of this compelling compilation of social media statistics:
- Almost half of the entire human population is using social media. Its use for businesses is compelling for relevance and survival.
- As social media continue to permeate deeper into our society, the long-standing dividing line between young and old users gradually diminishes across all age groups.
- Businesses remain to be among the top beneficiaries of social media as consumers increasingly turn to social media to help them for their shopping needs.
- Social media is transcending geographic and cultural boundaries as its per-country penetration continues to rise across the world.
- Just like in using any marketing channel, marketers must know how to properly use social media to make the most out of it.
There you have it, a compelling, carefully-selected collection of the latest social media statistics worldwide, which can provide you some key considerations that can prove to be useful in improving your social media marketing campaigns. As a final note, your knowledge of these key social media statistics become more optimized when you integrate it with the most efficient marketing solutions that are available in the market today.