Grammarly: No. 1 In Grammar Checker Software
Our score: 9.7
User satisfaction: 96%
What is the best writing enhancement software?
The best writing enhancement software is Grammarly because it is an excellent communication assistant without an overwhelming cost. The application has become the tool of choice both for casual and power users, professionals who need to polish their English while communicating with colleagues, partners, management and other executives. The writing enhancement employs years of human expertise in the English language coupled with a powerful artificial engine to ensure that no spelling and punctuation errors, awkward grammatical construction, and downright embarrassing use of words creep into your manuscript.
Perhaps one of the strangest tales you will pick up on the internet is about grammatical errors that cost companies millions. While the laws of probability make it unlikely that you are to cause the same problem to your company, poor writing can still earn you a bad reputation. All of these inform us one thing: we should mind our words well whether in the business or professional sphere. It means investing in the best writing tool you could get your hands on and within the budget.
In this article, we will present the best 20 writing enhancement software of 2019 that our experts have shortlisted from a list of popular candidates. These have been picked for either their outstanding or unique features. Not everyone engaged in the English written world has similar needs. Casual writers who are already proficient with the basic rules of English construction need only the occasional lift in typos and minor errors. The more creative ones might need all the help they need. A few of the software products here are specifically designed for them. Of course, you also need to consider the application’s pricing. Again, the solutions listed here appeal to different budgets. So watch out for those details that will really affect your choice.
Hiring full-bloodied writers is the logical step for those with deep pockets, something that is confirmed by a study by Grammarly sometime back, which indicates the percentage of writing errors committed by a slew of professions while coming up with an article.
While the stratospheric cost of some star writers is beyond many small companies, the arrival of decent grammar checkers or writing enhancement software is at least a good option of making their inroads to good content and better company reputation. Many of them cost for as much as nothing, while the rest are reasonable enough compared to hiring a full writer.
These solutions should at least make you sleep better at night knowing that you have a system that keeps watch over copies written by just anybody in your company. If they also happen to be on the executive level and could cost you embarrassment and your reputation, or someone writing content for you, then the better. While we have previously compared three notable grammar checker solutions, we will now turn to assessing the best 20 writing enhancement tools that you could get on the market.
Launched in 2009, Grammarly has made itself the world’s leading online grammar checker. Going beyond fixing misspelled words and overlooked grammar mistakes, it identifies words that, while spelled correctly, are used in the wrong context—thus ensuring you won’t overlook any aspect of your copy that can diminish its quality. Designed as a handy add-on, the platform can be easily embedded in your Chrome or Firefox browser, and automatically correct and polish the text you are preparing across different sites and applications.
The AI-powered tool ensures your message gets delivered clearly and error-free in a compelling way, which it does great being designed by the world’s leading language authorities. While already excellent as it is, Grammarly is continuously analyzed each day to improve its grammar-checking algorithms.
The basic app is free to use. Just sign up for a Grammarly free app here.
our Great User Experience Award for 2018
Why should you choose Grammarly?
- Your personal writing assistant. Grammarly automatically checks everything you type, making it easy to spot and fix errors quickly. While your document is being checked, the Assistant icon moves in a circle to indicate that checking is in progress. You can keep typing, and Grammarly will continue checking.
- Unmatched accuracy. Quite simply, Grammarly currently edges out all the competition in terms of accuracy, catching more errors than the next best solution could manage, while giving the user either basic or more advanced options. If you’re a client pressed for tight deadlines, you’d love Grammarly’s no-frills quick option, but if you have time in the world and want to gain deeper insight into the nuances and mysteries of the English language, you’d find the advanced option a decent way to brush up on those weak areas of your English composition skills.
- Multi-functional Grammarly is everywhere. Grammarly’s has practically made itself omnipresent for your convenience: it’s available as a dedicated desktop application in Windows and Mac OS, as application for iOS and Android, or as extension for such popular browsers as Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari. You could also install it as an add-in for Microsoft Office on Windows, and lately as mobile keyboard for Android and iOS.
Reverso offers accurate, diverse contextual translations to help you expand your vocabulary. To use Reverso, you simply type or say the words you want to translate. Results are generated in a matter of seconds, with conversions available in English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Arabic, Russian, Hebrew, Polish, German, and more.
If you are up to it, Reverso’s comprehensive tools can help you fully master a foreign language. As the translations are provided with pronunciation instructions and relevant examples, you can learn how to read, write, and speak new words.
Why should you choose Reverso?
- Quality translators. Reverso being a network of only of professional translators, each translator is specialized in a language of translation and a field (technical, legal, financial or editorial) to meet your exact needs.
- A fast translation service. The support for your translation needs is immediate: you get an instant quote including price and delivery times. Thousands of qualified translators are available 24/7 to respond quickly to your urgent requests. For example, a Word document of 5 pages (1500 words) can be delivered to D + 1.
- A simple platform to use. Once you upload the file to translate or copy and paste your text, your translation is immediately attended by a translator. You are notified by e-mail as soon as the translation is finished and you retrieve it on the platform.
3. Ginger Software
Ginger Software is one of the well-rounded writing enhancement tools that makes suggestions and corrections as you type. It is available for desktop and mobile devices.
You will find Ginger Software extra useful when you need to rephrase your sentences in different ways to avoid redundancy. A dictionary is always at hand so you can check whether the word you are using in a sentence or phrase is appropriate.
Apart from looking over your grammar, Ginger Software can help you communicate in different languages. The lightweight yet powerful application can translate text to more than 40 languages for a more robust communication.
Why should you choose Ginger Software?
- Write with complete confidence. Ginger makes sure everything you write is mistake-free on Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, MS-Office and everywhere you write.
- Correct your text as you type. Ginger corrects all types of grammatical mistakes including punctuation, sentence structure and style. Everything from misused words to subject-verb agreement to contextual spelling.
- Improve your writing skills. Whether you’re writing for business, sending an email, completing school assignment or posting an important status update—Ginger will be there to make sure your text is clear and is of the highest caliber.
Next on our best 20 writing enhancement software is WhiteSmoke, a platform that combines artificial intelligence and sophisticated algorithms through a unique technology called Natural Language Processing to detect a wide range of wording and phrasing errors. All that intelligent processor should take care of more grammar, spelling, punctuation, and stylistic issues.
The solution gives you an all-around English mistakes detector and corrector for desktop, web, and mobile. The program also provides tools that improve user experience and knowledge enhancement.
Why should you choose WhiteSmoke?
- Flexible pricing schemes. To give you ample budget options, WhiteSmoke offers essential and premium payment schemes in monthly, yearly, or three-year plans.
- Writing assistant with handy tools. WhiteSmoke offers a rich set of tools to improve your writing, including free writing assistant for people with dyslexia, translator, free toolbar download, along with several blogs that discuss writing tips and general rules for the English language.
- Multiple platform support, templates. WhiteSmoke covers all the relevant platforms that matter: dedicated desktop application, browser integration, and Android and iOS implementations. WhiteSmoke also gives you a hundred templates for business documents, a useful time-saving extra feature.
- Score your progress. You can use the application’s writing score feature displayed using a colored bar and plain words like “poor,” “fair” and “excellent” to describe your work, based on how many errors there are in your writing sample. If you’re just learning English, this tool is for you. Simply enable it to monitor your progress.
LanguageTool is an open source online grammar solution and a proofreading program for individuals and businesses. The software helps users find and fix grammatical and stylistic issues in their written materials. The solution is notable for performing error detection in multiple languages including English, Spanish, French, German, Polish and Russian.
LanguageTool allows users to add words to a personal dictionary. It can be added as a browser extension for Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. For those who are looking for speed, LanguageTool provides keyboard shortcuts in order to proofread their text quicker.
As an open source writing solution, LanguageTool is well supported by a lively community that keeps the software up to date with evolving technologies.
Why should you choose LanguageTool?
- Multiple language support. What makes LanguageTool a compelling writing solution is its capability to check grammar and spelling in 31 languages. And it does this without compromising effectivity.
- Personal dictionary in any language. A key feature of LanguageTool is its personal dictionary that you can fully customize and expand with entries from all the languages it supports. This fully expands the grammar and spelling capabilities of LanguageTool in any language that you choose to work on. Words added to the personal dictionary are treated as exceptions to LanguageTool’s grammar and spelling rules. Rules that you don’t need you can easily disable so you can focus only on the ones you actually require.
- Use as stand-alone, extension or add-on. You may use LanguageTool as an add-on or extension for Firefox, Chrome, Google Docs, LibreOffice, or Microsoft Word. The MS Word add-on enables users to check their text directly in Word. Users will see highlighted incorrect entries and they could just click a suggested correction to replace the original ones.
PaperRater is a web-based proofreading application that helps you improve your writing and aids language teachers in reviewing their students’ materials. The automated tool makes use of Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, Information Retrieval, Computational Linguistics, and Data Mining to run comprehensive grammar, spelling, and plagiarism scans that are said to be at par with reviews conducted by professional editors.
Once you’re ready to know if what you’ve written is worth full publication or the trash bin, PaperRater will be more than happy to do it for you. And it does so in seconds, using those powerful technologies indicated above to quickly scan for grammatical and spelling errors in order to score your output. You may use its plagiarism checker to save you the potential embarrassment of someone else claiming original credit for a hefty chunk of your work.
Why should you choose PaperRater?
- Accurate feedback. You will want to go deeper into the mystery of your score, and PaperRater gives you that capability via its feedback tool, to help you break down which areas in grammar, spelling, punctuation, and others you need to further work on, along with providing other helpful tips to fashion out a better writer out of you.
- Rein in plagiarism. PaperRater’s Plagiarism Detector makes the most of the massive indexes of the major search engines to conduct extensive scan and single out copied sections. The system is robust, practically saving you from potential professional disgrace and legal troubles.
- Flexible plans and pricing. While the basic version of PaperRater will give you functional capabilities, the premium package allows a larger submissions per month, lessens restriction on number of plagiarism checks per month, gives you an ad-free version, enhanced plagiarism checker, faster processing, and other advanced features you will need.
7. Hemingway Editor
Hemingway Editor specifically targets run-on sentences and adjectives, passive voice, and adverbs, to name a few. The app is very clean and easy to edit which tells us someone spent time creating this app. It detects the presence of adverbs, hard-to-read sentences, complex words or phrases, and passive voice within a text.
If you have a strange tendency to use wordy sentences, drive away readers by employing dull or complicated words, have a standing fetish for adverbs and unhealthy fascination with passive voice, you have a lot to gain by accessing Hemingway Editor online, or by simply installing the stand-alone desktop version.
Why should you choose Hemingway Editor?
- Make your written work inviting to read. Once you run the application, Hemingway rises from the grave, scores your work, and admonishes you where you have got it all wrong in terms of your cloudy writing style, reliance on overly complex words and phrases, and suggests using powerful words in place of weakening adverbs and overly flat and passive voice all over your manuscript—all using color-coded highlights.
- No more copy-pasting between text editors. If you’re one of those who hate the tedious process of copy-pasting between text editors, Hemingway enables you to skip complexity and import text directly from Microsoft Word and other word processing programs. It also works the other way: once you are done, you can opt to save your output as PDF or MS Word document file.
- Free or pay a low price. You can access Hemingway online for free. For the stand-alone application you have to pay $19.99 and beyond that, for enterprise packages, you can contact the application creators.
If you are any type of writer—fiction, academic, business, or content writer—ProWritingAid aspires to be all that you need as an editing companion and a writing coach. To this end, ProWritingAid developers designed it to be the only manuscript editing software that covers grammar, contextual spelling, and punctuation.
Why should you choose ProWritingAid?
- Edit faster. ProWritingAid automatically suggests thousands of style improvements so you can breeze through your editing.
- Fix style issues. You writing can be grammatically perfect but still feel awkward and clumsy. ProWritingAid searches out elements like repetitiveness, vague wording, sentence length variation, over-dependence on adverbs, passive voice, over-complicated sentence constructions, and so much more (25 reports in all.)
- Eliminate errors. Nothing makes a writer lose credibility faster than spelling and grammar mistakes. Submit clean, error-free writing.
- Learn as you edit. Our users consistently report improvements in their writing as ProWritingAid allows them to see and eliminate their own bad habits and common mistakes.
Ninth on our best 20 writing enhancement software solutions is OnlineCorrection.com, a free online grammar tool for use by students and professional writers. Easy to use and straightforward, the proofreading and editing software checks English texts for grammar mistakes, spelling, errors, and stylistic issues.
Developed using some text analysis programs: Hunspell, DICTION, and Language Tool, OnlineCorrection.com provides a website with a simple design where users can enter the text they want to proofread. With just a single click of a button, OnlineCorrection.com then highlights the errors and issues in the text.
Why should you choose OnlineCorrection.com?
- Powerful engine. Underneath the straightforward appearance of OnlineCorrrection.com is processing power that is capable of spitting out results highlighting spelling errors, basic grammar mistakes, as well as suggestions to improve content via alternative vocabulary and sentence structure.
- Look, no trace. If you are a worrywart, the application destroys every content that you submit within half an hour in case you harbor some creepy feeling someone is stealing your original ideas.
- Absolutely free. OnlineCorrrection.com is absolutely free—all you need is a stable internet connection. Also, OnlineCorrrection.com has program counterparts in other major languages: German, French, Spanish, Polish, Portuguese, Italian, and Russian.
SpellCheckPlus is an online grammar and spelling checker designed for students who are using English as their second language. Teacher- and student-friendly, the application aims to help students identify errors in their writing, learn from their mistakes, and write better in English.
SpellCheckPlus has a free and a paid version. The free version of the tool allows students to submit text for checking up to a maximum of 2,000 characters at a time. Beyond this text length limit, they can purchase SpellCheckPlus Pro, the paid version of the tool that offers more advanced features.
Why should you choose SpellCheckPlus?
- Patience to learn. SpellCheckPlus is careful not to overwhelm students with excessive errors, allowing users to fix one error at a time. It’s about process-based learning, a teaching strategy wherein students learn to solve issues or problems step by step.
- Explain, teach. Key to SpellCheckPlus is making the most of its features to explain to the students why they are committing grammar and spelling mistakes and directing them what to do to address those mistakes.
- Versions. SpellCheckPlus is free only up to 2000 characters. It is not enough to check most documents, but enough to alert you that you might want to look at your piece of writing once again. The paid version that removes restriction can be had for $14.99 good for year’s use. It also provides detailed summary of errors. Even then, you will be well advised to accept only those suggestions that make logical sense.
11. Grammar Slammer
Grammar Slammer is an English grammar and spell check software designed to help writers come up with intelligible write-ups and content. It helps you understand grammar rules so you can avoid making the same mistakes in the future. The software seeks to have users learn the intricacies of the English language by providing answers to questions regarding the corrections the software makes.
Why should you choose Grammar Slammer?
- Cost-effective software. Grammar Slammer is not only helpful for users who want to deliver error-free content, it is also friendly to their pockets. The various editions of the software are available at reasonable prices compared to the steep tags similar software have.
- Word integration. Word processors may be equipped with grammar and spelling checkers but they are only basic rules. With Grammar Slammer, users of Microsoft Word can gain more confidence since they can use the software together with the processor.
- One-click answers. Grammar Slammer’s grammar and spelling reference can be utilized to answer a person’s questions. Users only need to click a button and they can get a succinct explanation regarding their query.
12. Virtual Writing Tutor
Virtual Writing Tutor is an English-as-a-second-language grammar checker created for both students and language teachers, or bloggers, writers, and other professionals. This free online grammar checker aims to provide learning opportunities for students during those times when teachers are not available.
For teachers, the solution reduces their workload by automating their proofreading or editing task as well as the process of giving corrective feedback to their students on their assignments. With Virtual Writing Tutor, students can learn ESL independently and by receiving consistent and extensive feedback; and teachers can assign more writing tasks to their students without worrying about checking the assignments of their students.
Why should you choose Visual Writing Tutor?
- Less cliches, more power words. Cliches are the bane of English writers, and Visual Writing Tutor makes sure you don’t forget that, steering you against overused expressions to make your content more interesting. To push you in this direction, the program has incorporated a cliche and power word checker tool.
- Conversational English versus academic English. Physical ESL schools teach students to learn to differentiate between the use of conversational English and academic English. Visual Writing Tutor does the same by pointing out that words like “buy,” “eat,” or “wear” are best used in everyday talk, while more formalistic words and tone are best suited to academic speak and compositions.
- Target structures. Teachers may require students to use particular prepositions, past tense verbs, transition words, or adverbs as they prepare their assignments or thesis papers. Using the target structure tool, students can check whether such words are found in their writing.
- Field-related vocabulary. Show the depth of your knowledge about your field of interest by employing terms unique to your discipline. Visual Writing Tool will scan matches between words in your manuscript and the those included in the 47 fields of study on FieldStudy.com. Further, you can access field-related readings, glossaries, and audios linked to every match it finds.
- Dodge the plagiarism bullet. If you picked up a bad habit of lifting off materials from original authors and are too lazy rewording them in such a way that you are actually inviting premature career suicide without realizing it, Visual Writing Tool gives you a guardian angel in the form of a paraphrase tool, to help you work up your gray matter rephrasing and extracting the thought of a source without going too obvious about it.
13. Microsoft Word
The industry-standard and world’s most used word processing software, Microsoft Word is the application of choice of educators, students, firstline workers, businesses, and enterprises. Aside from its much vaunted institutional use, Microsoft Word is also built and designed for personal use, the de facto app to view, edit, create, and share beautiful documents.
Microsoft Word provides document editing and proofreading tools that enable users to customize their documents and make them more effective. Due to its collaborative features and co-authoring capabilities, working on documents is simplified. Coworkers, bosses, and clients can work on the same document, and everyone can be updated when there are changes made to a document.
Why should you choose Microsoft Word?
- Industry-standard proofing tools. No matter the rush of new players in the field, Microsoft Word’s proofing tools remain the benchmark by which the new programs are measured against. For many years publishing and other media companies have relied on MS Word to polish grammar, spelling, or writing style by the click of a button on the options menu. Just ask any editor how things were before Track Changes appeared on the Microsoft Word toolbar
- Robust formatting tools. While there are now more dedicated formatting programs, for many others Microsoft Word’s formatting capabilities are still enough for their daily needs. Those who happen to be familiar with its formatting tools would swear they could adjust paragraph alignment, change kerning, line spacing and font attributes, create bulleted and numbered lists, add headers and footers, and insert items in a document such as pictures or tables just as well as they could with the best page design tools in the market.
- Work directly with PDFs. If you’ve ever been asked to change content in a PDF, you know you are in for the long haul for the rest of the day. Microsoft Word saves you from all the trouble by allowing you to edit elements like paragraphs, lists, and even tables. That doesn’t end there: once you’re done, you could save your working file as a Word or PDF document to your heart’s content.
- Real-time collaboration. What’s teamwork nowadays if two or more people could not access and work the same file at the same time? The advent of high-speed internet made sure companies level up in terms of real-time collaboration, and Microsoft Word, seeing wisdom in all that, would not let itself fall behind.
14. Google Docs
Mention Microsoft Word these days and most likely Google Docs lurks around in some corner of your mind. And it works both ways. Never mind that Google Docs is a purely web-based application, quite convenient if you don’t have access to a desktop word processor. The two programs have become inseparable in so many ways it’s a good thing you could move elements between the two applications sans hassles most of the time.
Why should you choose Google Docs?
- Accessible solution. The days when you have to carry around a floppy disc or its modern counterpart, the ubiquitous USB if not a whole laptop, to enable sharing or any primitive type of collaborative work is pretty much Stone Age nowadays. Google Docs’ solution, access-anywhere cloud storage, is as compelling as it is highly convenient to the point some might even ask how they managed otherwise in the past.
- Collaborative editing. “Collaborative” could just be the Holy Grail of any human interaction these days, and it proves well in the case of Google Docs. The application itself has its own built-in proofing tools—grammar or spell checker—but its true power lies in how it enables multiple users to polish off any document as needed. Comments and suggestions could be reviewed, rejected or accepted as necessary—in real time. If those are not enough, chat with any participant, also in real-time, for added dimension.
- Instant save. Desktop processors have probably made a few users save freaks for one reason or another. Google Docs saves you from contacting the mild psychosis, performing instant saves at regular intervals to make sure you don’t suffer a heart attack next time you open your document and not see your latest changes there.
15. Slick Write
Slick Write is a free online proofreading tool with nifty features to delight bloggers, writers, novelists, SEO professionals, and students. The application has a user-friendly interface, making it easier to proofreads a write-up or text. The tool comes in handy when you are creating a resume that demonstrates professionalism and excellent communication skills, leaving a good impression on potential employers in the job market.
Why should you choose Slick Write?
- Word association to cure writer’s block. It’s the only application out there that seems to remember the public enemy number one of writers and thought of coming up with a cure: have artificial intelligence generate words in the context of real literature and fire up slacking neurons to connect with those previously unexplored regions where hidden plots, heroes and villains take abode.
- Useful statistics. After checking your document for grammatical errors and stylistic issues, Slick Write automatically opens a popup window at the bottom of the screen indicating total word count, number of long sentences and adverbs, average word, sentence, and paragraph lengths, the time it takes for someone to complete reading the entire text, along with metrics for prepositional phrases and passive voice.
- Sentence type: graphical breakdown. Activate Slick Write’s graphical illustrations to see which areas in your writing you need to focus more. A pie chart, for example, should inform you about the percentage of simple, compound, complex, or compound-complex sentences, along with fragments, in your document.
- Vocabulary variety. Mindlessly repeating an already limited vocabulary in your work ad infinitum may prove to be one of the most effective sleep medicines out there, but think again if you choose to craft words and ideas to make a living. Notice Slick Write rendering a word in red and you know you have used that particular word one too often. A green, on the other hand, tells you the word has been used sparingly.
GrammarCheck is an entry-level writing application that helps identify basic grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors. The web-hosted service helps users write English more effectively and flawlessly.
To use the application, you simply type or copy-paste a write-up into a dialog box located on the application’s homepage. After this, you click on Check Your Text to see the corrections. For all its seeming simplicity, GrammarCheck is powered by After the Deadline, a potent open source program that utilizes artificial intelligence and natural language processing technology to identify writing errors.
Why should you choose GrammarCheck?
- Straightforward and user-friendly. One look at GrammarCheck’s homepage easily tells you what it is for and where to point your mouse. Navigation is self-explanatory and the results intuitive enough even for first-time users.
- Service anywhere. As a purely web-based solution, GrammarCheck ensures you have access to capable proofing anywhere you have internet connection.
- Fast and free. GrammarCheck is no slacker, capable of generating results in mere seconds. Best of all, of course, is that it’s all totally and absolutely free.
17. WordPerfect Office X8
WordPerfect Office X8 is a leading office suite for business professionals, academics, and other users. The Corel-made product provides impressive results through new and enhanced and new features that allow you to do more with words.
With WordPerfect Office X8, businesses can streamline and smoothen their workflows and avoid bottlenecks as the office suite comes with templates and support for assorted file types. This allows offices to be efficient and successful in handling documents.
Why should you choose WordPerfect Office X8?
- Enhanced features. Popular WordPerfect Office X8 features have been further improved, resulting in enhanced tools with more functionalities. These include boosted Microsoft Office compatibility, which enables users to work with file formats created with the Microsoft Office programs. Aside from that, the office suite also supports around 60 more file formats made by other word processing programs and suites.
- Redacted sections. If you have ever been involved in sensitive high-risk stuff, you will appreciate WordPerfect Office X8’s redaction tool, to ensure only those with the proper set of authorizations could have access to what you choose to hide behind black bars inside your documents.
- Built-in PDF capability. Create a PDF document, edit or share it through WordPerfect Office X8 at no added cost. These are features typically offered by stand-alone applications, so understandably businesses appreciate the saving allowed by the software.
SentenceChecker.org is a grammar and sentence checker recommended for students and professionals. The proofreading software ensures that thesis papers, dissertations, academic papers, and other documents are error-free. For the purpose, it checks papers and documents for grammar and sentence structure problems, spelling and punctuation errors, and plagiarism issues.
Why should you choose SentenceChecker.org?
- Minding the fragment minefield. Fragmented sentences come in many flavors and forms to render detection a fairly tricky affair, especially if you are dealing with an already lengthy and complex material. SentenceChecker.org designed its software to sort out this kind of mess for you, taking out lonely verb fragments, subordinate clause fragments and appositive fragments, for example.
- Correct sentence structure. If you tend to mangle the structure of your sentences, SentenceChecker.org will bring up those sections in question so you could apply the proper subject-verb agreement, parallelism, as well as the correct word choice that you missed first time.
- Fixing essay. You are trying to say something but you’ve lost it somewhere with confusing use of grammar and choice of words somewhere. SentenceChecker.org goes over what you have done, gleans the meaning, and sets all of these errors right without costing you your original message.
19. After the Deadline
After the Deadline is a free-to-use spellcheck and grammar check application accessible via the web. The cloud-based software uses intelligent open source technology that detects errors and provides smart suggestions.
After the Deadline is specially designed to ensure writers use the correct words in their content. The software processes sentences and paragraphs to find whether the writer meant something else by using another word. This misused word detection feature makes write-ups more intelligible.
Why should you choose After the Deadline?
- No-Cost software. Most language checking applications on the web have monthly or yearly subscriptions in order to unlock their full power. With After the Deadline, you can enjoy smart language checking for free for as long as they use it.
- Manifold platform support. After the Deadline is available on WordPress.com as well as in libraries, plugins, add-ons, and extensions for a variety of platforms. It’s not exactly unique in this respect, but such application flexibility is always welcome for any user.
- Open Source code. You can embed After the Deadline into any application or modify its rules to fit your own set of language standards and not worry about legal or commercial costs. It allows you to ensure your content is free of errors before releasing to the public and worry about professional face later on.
Rounding up our best 20 writing enhancement software solutions list and arguably the most unique among the entries in this list is AutoCrit, a web-based fiction manuscript editing tool for indie writers. The software assists authors in simplifying the editing and revision process with its tools that highlight concerns in more than 25 areas. They are then guided by the application step-by-step to ensure that they make changes to the key elements and make their writing more attractive to agents and publishers.
With AutoCrit, authors can even compare their manuscript to published fiction works and see how they stack up against them. This provides them with insight regarding writing styles popular among readers so they can take a cue from them and emulate them to improve their works.
Why should you choose AutoCrit?
There’s never been a writing help platform like AutoCrit, and its unique features are unheard of in the other solutions listed here, like:
- No guesswork editing. With AutoCrit, users can immediately find the areas that they need to edit as the application analyzes and highlights the exact words and sections for review. This saves them time in the process and lets them be more productive in their analysis.
- Create your best work using summary score. Running AutoCrit’s Summary Report on your manuscript will give you an overall score based on the number of areas the software suggests you should consider revising. The higher the number, the fewer revisions you need to make. As you edit, every time you re-run the Summary Report you’ll see your score climb, and you’ll feel empowered to create your best work.
- Identify dialogue problems: write authentic and riveting dialogue. Nothing pulls us into a story faster than when characters start talking to one another, yet crafting compelling dialogue is an art some writers struggle to master. AutoCrit identifies excess dialogue tags so you can eliminate the he said/she said when your reader already knows who’s talking. The software also calls out adverbs (those pesky -ly words published writers, editors, and agents loathe in excess) in dialogue tags so you can take your prose from purple to polished in one smooth sweep.
- Crush excess adverbs. AutoCrit will show you not only how many adverbs you’ve used, but identify whether you’ve used too many compared to published books in your genre. Is “really” your adverb nemesis? AutoCrit will pinpoint the issue and help you eradicate all those extra “reallys” in one quick pass.
The Best Way to Evaluate Software
For standard business communication needs, Grammarly should be up to the task of ensuring that whatever you decide to write is free of the common errors that plague the written world. For more advanced needs, especially if you are looking to try your hand on publishing websites and marketing collaterals, the solution combines machine learning with natural language processing; you get the closest thing to having an editor on call.
As always, nothing beats getting your hands on the application firsthand, to see how it actually feels and looks. For that, availing yourself of a free trial is the best course that you can follow. Simply sign up for a Grammarly free trial here.