Who would have thought that rather than having hashbrowns for breakfast, we would now have #hashtags instead? Indeed, technology has changed the world. We now have virtual lives to live matched only by how much data we can consume. All these are fed by social networks that offer multiple ways to connect with family and friends or shop and purchase products and services. One of these, Instagram, is currently showing remarkable market adoption. How remarkable? This set of basic Instagram statistics and more will show you.
In just a short time, Instagram has become the second-fastest-growing social network behind its parent company Facebook. It is increasingly becoming the new apple of every marketer’s eye. And there’s more than enough data to prove they’re right. This is why knowing its users and how they are using it can help your business to create a better marketing strategy. Let’s check out the Instagram statistics below and see if you’re properly “hashtagged” for success. Moreover, let’s assess the different social media management software that you can use to execute your Instagram strategy successfully.
1. Instagram Market Growth Statistics
The third-largest social network behind giants Facebook and YouTube, Instagram continues to grow as one of the most popular social media platforms worldwide. Data from multiple industries indicate that the present and future remain bright for Instagram as an effective marketing platform.
- Instagram is used by one in seven people worldwide, with 1 billion accounts being used actively every month. (Instagram)
- Every day over 500 million people log into their Instagram accounts. (Instagram)
- From 90 million in January 2013, the overall Instagram monthly active user base has grown to 1 billion in June 2018. (Instagram)
- With over 500 million active users, Instagram maintains a wide lead over rivals Twitter (326 million), Snapchat (150 million), and Pinterest (250 million). (MediaKix)
- Still, with a predominantly young user base, the ratio of adult Instagram users have increased by almost 400% since 2012. (Pew)
- Instagram’s community of users is the fastest growing within the US than any other social platform. (Statista)
- From 2016 to 2020, Instagram is predicted to add another 26.9 million users, which is almost twice that of Twitter, and significantly more than those of other social platforms. (eMarketer)
- In 2019, Instagram will generate almost 25% of Facebook’s total ad earnings worldwide. By 2020, that figure will increase to 30%. (Recode)
- With Facebook Messenger as the most used messaging app among millennials, the second place is shared by Instagram and Snapchat at 47%. (RefuelAgency)
- Users spend almost an hour—or 53 minutes to be exact—on Instagram daily. (Recode)
- As of January 2019, Instagram’s own account continues to be the most followed IG account, followed by the accounts of Cristiano Ronaldo (2nd), Selena Gomez (3rd), Ariana Grande (4th), and Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson (5th). (Statista).
If these figures don’t add up to your business plans, it’s time to start accepting these powerful Instagram facts and craft a better marketing plan for good measure. There’s simply no reason not to use a major social media platform that occupies almost an entire hour out of every user’s day spent scrolling through images, watching Stories, interacting with accounts, etc. If you want to sell something effectively, better do it on Instagram.
2. Instagram Users Statistics
Knowing the demographics of every social media platform that you use can help you identify which ones you need to target in your social media strategy. Check out these important Instagram data to help you better fine-tune your marketing campaigns.
- 25–34-year-olds comprise Instagram’s largest user demographic, at 25.2%. (Statista)
- 72% of teenagers use Instagram, followed closely by Snapchat (69%). (Pew)
- 64% of Instagram users are between 18 and 34. (Statista)
- In 2014, 26% of adults began to actively use Instagram. By 2018, that figure had increased to 35%. (Pew)
- As of January 2019, the top countries with the most Instagram users are the US. (121 million), India (71 million), and Brazil (64 million). (Statista)
- Over one-third of Instagram users have used their mobile devices to purchase something online. (GlobalWebIndex)
- From 2013 to 2018, an Instagram research study found that the number of young adult (aged 18 to 24) Instagram users had increased twice, from 35% to 71%. (Pew)
- On average, female users make up around 56% of Instagram’s base in Latin America. (eMarketer)
- Over 80% of Instagram’s user base is from outside the US (Instagram)
- From 51% of young adult users who use Instagram daily in 2016, 60% are now using the platform, with 55% visiting the site several times a day. (Pew)
- 68% of Millennials watch Stories on Instagram. Only 49% of them watch Stories on Snapchat and 44% on Facebook. (Digiday)
Having a clear direction on how to reach your destination is a must. For marketers, Instagram provides you the opportunity to reach out to your target audience to better showcase your brand. With its continuously growing communities worldwide, the case of using Instagram to connect with your customers remains to be a solid and logical one for every marketer.
3. Instagram Business Use Statistics
A true game-changer, Instagram is a proven social platform for helping drive traffic to your site or online store to boost sales. We’ve gathered these essential statistics on why using Instagram for business is the way to go:
- Instagram has the highest engagement rate of all social networks, at around 2–7% of all posts. (WebStrategies)
- As of 2019, there are over 25 million businesses on Instagram. (Instagram)
- Instagram visitors stay on a network site the longest time—an average of 192 seconds—compared to other social platforms, indicating that Instagram has the most engaged traffic. (Yotpo)
- Instagram has over 8 million business accounts on its network. (AdWeek)
- Around 80% of all Instagram users follow a business on the platform. (Instagram)
- Instagram Stories provide businesses with up to 37% of their total impressions. (SocialBakers)
- Retail businesses are among the most followed brands on Instagram, representing half of the top 15 brands. (Statista)
- This gives you ample opportunity to showcase your business and give your brand some extra exposure on Instagram.
- Instagram photos and Stories of brands receive more interactions versus other platforms. (Mention)
- For every 10 Instagram hashtags, 7 are branded. (SproutSocial)
- On average, top brands post 1.5 times daily. (Buffer)
- 60% of users say they first learned about a brand on Instagram. (Instagram)
- For 2018, the industry that received the highest engagement rate was higher education at 3.39%, followed by sports teams at 2.28%, and nonprofits at 2.14%. (RivalIQ)
- 30% of Instagram users purchased something they found on the network. (Yotpo)
- On average, the most engaging Instagram posts have 5.44 hashtags. (Mention)
- Around 50% of businesses are active users of Instagram Stories, disproving the notion that Instagram Stories are only used for personal purposes. (EmbedSocial)
- 100% of car brands and 98% of fashion brands use Instagram. (Statista)
- Instagram’s new IGTV, which allows users to upload videos up to 10 minutes long, is part of the network’s strategy in the dynamic online video wars versus the top sites YouTube and Twitch. (TheVerge)
Aside from the above statistics, companies using Instagram are welcoming the recent upgrade of the Instagram Graph API—which now includes hashtag analytics—for better BI and reporting capabilities. No wonder more and more businesses, especially SMBs that use mostly SaaS apps in their operations, are now embracing social media management platforms to support most of their core tasks, including leveraging their content marketing software.
Most Popular Social Media Management Software
- HubSpot Marketing is a robust inbound marketing software that helps you create and modify your website. It has email tools and drip campaigns so you can easily turn leads into customers. You can find out more about it in our HubSpot Marketing review.
- Facebook Pages Manager is designed to improve your business presence on Facebook. It allows you to manage your pages and provide excellent customer service. To know more about its tools, you can check out our Facebook Pages Manager review.
- monday.com lets you manage social media campaigns in one visual, collaborative workspace. It provides you with a complete picture of your ongoing projects in a neat dashboard. See what else it has to offer in our monday.com review.
- Tweetdeck is a social media management platform built specifically for Twitter. It tracks and organizes your engagements in real-time, ensuring that you reach your target audience. check out our Tweetdeck review for more information.
- Zoho Social is a social media management tool that lets you manage your brand’s reputation easily. It allows you to schedule posts and monitor engagements. Read more about this product in our Zoho Social review.
4. Instagram Content Statistics
Instagram users are among the busiest today and in the years to come:
- Every day, over 100 million videos and photos are shared on Instagram. (OmniCore)
- For every four ads on Instagram, one is a video. (SensorTower)
- Using 11 hashtags generates the most number of interactions on Instagram posts. (Buffer)
- 200 million users visit business profiles on Instagram daily, with 8 of 10 users active business followers. (Instagram)
- Photos with faces receive 38% more likes on Instagram. (OmniCore)
- Instagram videos receive 21% more interactions with more images on the platform. (Quintly)
- A study of 8 million Instagram images found that images having one dominant color get 17% more likes than those with many dominant colors. (SproutSocial)
- A total of 4.2 billion likes are made on Instagram per day. (OmniCore)
- Instagram enjoys the best organic engagement among social platforms. (Forbes)
- Instagram photos with large negative space (or the area surrounding the main subject) elicit 29% more likes than those with lesser negative space. (SproutSocial)
- On Instagram, engagement rate, and caption length of Instagram posts are not very correlated. (SimplyMeasured)
- From the 5 most popular emojis, four are positive smiley faces, while from the top 20, around 10 are smileys. (Curalate)
- Over 100 million people use Instagram Live every day for watching or creating live video. (Instagram)
- Instagram images that are predominantly blue receives 24% more likes compared to those that are mostly red. (SproutSocial)
- The US flag is the only flag emoji in the top 100 emojis, taking the 59th place. The Italian flag ranks 125th, followed by the French flag (160th) and the Japanese flag (166th). (Curalate)
- The most frequently shared emoji on Instagram is the red heart, followed by a smiling face with heart eyes. (Curalate)
- The most popular Instagrammed food ever is pizza, followed by sushi and steak. (DailyMail)
- Upon launching video on Instagram in June 2013, over 5 million videos were shared on the first day. (CNet)
- After running a batch of sponsored posts on Instagram for four days, one brand was able to add 36 times its usual number of new followers a day, boosting its number of followers by 18.15%. (UnionMetrics)
SMBs could use #Hashtags to quickly grow a large following on Instagram
By now, your brand should already be inside the Instagram universe. Let these statistics help you rethink your social media strategy. A good way to facilitate this is by taking advantage of the benefits of an enterprise social networking software, which businesses nowadays are increasingly using.
5. Instagram Posting Statistics
Just like any other tool, knowing how a social marketing platform like Instagram is critical to maximizing its benefits. You only need to know what kind of posting strategies work on this social network.
- Brands post 1.5 times a day on the average, based on a study of 55 popular brands. (UnionMetrics)
- Eleven to 20 times a month is the most common posting frequency of most brands, representing around 30% of all companies. (SimplyPleasured)
- Video posts generate 38% more engagement versus images and receive 2.1 times more comments. (Mention)
- Instagram posts with hashtags between 21 and 24 characters in length, create better engagement than the average. (SocialMediaToday)
- Thursday from 5:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. in any time zone is the best time to make Instagram posts. (HubSpot)
- A study of 100 top brands indicates a 53% year-over-year growth rate of engagement per post. (SimplyMeasured)
- Most brand posts continue to receive likes and comments around 18 to 24 hours after posting on Instagram, a slightly slower pace from its typically initial fast start. (UnionMetrics)
- One study found that posts with 9–12 hashtags generate more engagement compared to those without other volumes of hashtags. (SocialMediaToday)
- A study of thousands of brand posts found that a brand must have around 2,325 followers to receive 100 likes and comments for each post. (UnionMetrics)
- 90% of the Interbrand 100 companies have Instagram accounts, and 80% of them are posting one video or photo on Instagram every week. (MobileMonkey)
- The majority of the posts made by top brands need over 19 hours to reach 50% total comments and 19 days for 10% more comments. (Source)
These statistics truly indicate the power of social media to influence today’s consumers. As a marketer, you’re busy most of the time, so it’s best to take advantage of the benefits of marketing automation tools to allow you to focus on more important things like planning and expanding your marketing reach.
Leverage these statistics in your Instagram business strategy
At the end of the day, people and businesses use Instagram to connect in more meaningful ways. Keep this in mind and make that important move. Millions of companies across cultures and continents are getting involved in this social network, which is allowing their brands to build more meaningful connections to over a billion of existing and prospective customers.
Here are some of the key takeaways of this compelling compilation of Instagram statistics:
- With over a billion active users per month, Instagram is one of the most powerful, highly-engaging marketing platforms today.
- Instagram helps businesses grow their brands with its user profiles for better audience targeting and market segmentation.
- Empowered by its high engagement rate, the platform is already helping businesses of all sizes boost traffic to their online stores or websites for increased sales.
- With over 100 million visual content shared every day, Instagram users are among the most active social media networks today and in the future.
After reading this post, you’ll likely share a photo, video, or story of your brand on your social network account for that increased user engagement. There are many ways to boost your leads using social media marketing, such as by using the best social media management tools in the market today.